Tuesday, February 20

I Homeschooled For a Day...

and it was crazy.
Somehow word leaked out that I am unemployed for the next while, SO...a friend of the family asked if I would watch their four homeschooled children while they raced to Kelowna for a day for an appointment.
I knew there was no REAL reason to say 'no', and that it would be a "good" thing to do. I actually do have a fairly healthy conscience. So I said I'd do it. After all its ONLY eight hours, right?
Well let me tell you I have a new-found respect for my mom, and all other mom's that make the crazy decision to homeschool their kids. I don't know HOW they manage it day after day after day! I am thoroughly exhausted from simply being with those kids (I don't know their exact ages, but I'm guessing they were between 7 and 12) and always hounding them to get back to work, or helping them figure out (aka TELLING THEM) which of the four words in the list are misspelled, or trying to remember how to create common denominators...my poor little brain is only used to taking Tim Hortons orders, not teaching kids school stuff. It was unbelievably hard to keep up with four different "lessons" at the same time, and then move on again and make sure everyone was getting stuff done and not just taking advantage of Mom being out for the day and duping the stupid babysitter.
I think I was just as eager for school to get "out" as they were!!
Tomorrow's sleep-in is well deserved.

6 comments:

Cardinal's Cove said...

I'm going to offer some advice. ;) You are not unemployed! You have a job, but you actually have some time off between your jobs. It's a blessing! Enjoy it! I had my normal "weekend" between camp and starting at the church, and it was crazy tough. I think when I actually had a few days off at Christmas it took me like 3-4 days to just recover in the sleep department... You've been working hard at Tim Horton's and made a big life change. Enjoy this period of rest you have been blessed with between jobs. Sure you're not in Ireland or on a beach somewhere warm, but you can enjoy this time nearly as much! Have lots of coffee with friends, go get a massage or something.. Sleep in, watch movies .. don't feel guilty about it. :) You're going to camp. You're not going to have a lack of busy-ness for 6 months. :)

At any rate, it was very good of you to help your friends out today :). I'm sure it was very exhausting indeed! Though I have never had the experience you had today, I can't imagine and respect greatly the amount of work parents put into their kids (especially homeschool parents). I myself am hesitant for the day I find myself in such shoes. It must be hard to be a parent. Good thing we have God to rely on!! I know he's the most massive source of my energy, and the giver of all good things. :)

Well, before my comment gets as long as your post, just make sure you enjoy this time. :) Especially enjoy it with your family. You will miss them. Oh .. cept you have Mike there .. maybe not so much then. ;) lol. Anyways, take care Jill, have a good week!

Cardinal's Cove said...

lol .. I think that quite possibly was longer then your post! ;) sorry.

Becks said...

Hmmm that totally gives me a new perspective on homeschooling.....it's like tutoring and babysitting at the same time. I'll still most likely do it with my kids though. :P Sounds like a very interesting experience.

Do take Ryan's advice though!...see you this weekend for snowboarding hopefully!

Anonymous said...

The trouble is when your a Mum you rarely get a break... especially if your home schooling. Sounds like a VERY hard job. Although, very important and very unselfish.

Anonymous said...

I hope you went home after that experience and gave your mom a gigantic hug and thank you!

Anyways, I'm sure that family really appreciated the help and it must have been nice for the mom to have a break.

Deanne said...

Good for you Jill - that was good of you to help them out. I can imagine it must have been a challenging day but I'm sure you were awesome at it. I admire homeschool moms immensely!

Have fun at camp! You guys are going to have a blast. Jon just got his acceptance letter so be prepared! :-}