Thursday, June 21

Adventures with Brownies

Brownies are one of the greatest chocolately creations. Gooey, and chewy, and dark, and good. Best of all, it can be coupled with other fantastic flavors.
I'm in the process of exploring the many brownies of this world.
There are Butterscoth Brownies, Double Brownies, Extra Chocolate Brownies, Mint Brownies, Cream Cheesey Brownies, Mocha Brownies, and Brownies rolled into a ball and dipped in melted chocolate (a favorite around here).
Recently I discovered a new kind of brownie. I believe I am possibly the only person ever to have made them. ever.
You think I'm arrogant to say so?
Well it happened by accident, if that will convince you.
It began innocently enough.
I was following the best basic brownie recipe I have yet stumbled upon. Very straight forward.
Vegetable oil, and cocoa, and flour, and sugar...
Only instead of using the sugar we keep up front, I was lazy and used the store of sugar we keep in a green bin in the back.
Well as I was mixing it, it looked lumpy and gross and I was feeling rather dubious about it.
However, I went over the recipe checking for missed ingredients and I had put everything in, so I popped it in the oven and assumed some time alone would do it some good.
15 minutes. It hadn't risen at all. I put it in for 5 more. Beeper goes. Still no good. I thought maybe the ovens had gone on the blink or something and the inconsistent heat had ruined it. Eventually, when it had been in there for a good 30/35 minutes I pulled it out and let it cool.
Then I went in for the kill. As long as it tastes good, who cares what it looks like, right?
I sliced a little off the corner and popped it in my mouth.


I cannot describe to you how revolting, nauseating, and utterly disgusting the experience was!
Unbeknownst to me (though you may have guessed), the green bin was full of salt, not sugar!
I gagged, and spat, and washed my mouth out and shook my fist at those terrible salty burnt pieces of putresence, and then threw them to the pigs.

And then like a good little baker I whipped up a second batch and steered clear of the deceitful green bin.

And they were fabulous chewy moist brownies.

The end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'putrescence' what a great word!! Funny story! I've thrown away more stuff than I care to share. Glad you were able to put the mistake behind you and create another delicacy soon after! That's my girl!