Thursday afternoon: Mom and I head down the Coquihalla hwy in the ultra hot blue Toyota Rav-4.Destination: Passport Canada office, Surrey.
Its a long story. See, my passport is good for another year, and since I plan to only be in Ireland for 8 months that should be fine, right?
Apparently not.
I'm going with a program called SWAP (Students Working Abroad Program) and in order for them to get me a working Visa for Ireland, I need to have at least 18 months left on my passport. Grrr.
So I need to get a whole new passport before I can go! And if you go through the regular route of sending it away, it will take until January before you get it back!
I can't wait that long!
So Mumsy kindly offered to go with me to Surrey and drop off my application directly at the Passport Canada office. This means that IF we get in, I will get my passport back in up to 4 weeks.
So there we were.
7:30 AM, shivering outside the office building that opens at 8 AM.
We were the second people in line by minutes. The lineup behind us grew steadily.
Finally the doors were opened and about the first 9 or 10 of us were herded into an elevator which was activated by the guard's key. Apparently if he wasn't able to control the elevator there would be a mad rush?
We all nervously shuffled around and a few eagerly stumbled out when we stopped on the wrong floors.
When we arrive on floor 9, we were in line again. It wasn't long before we were called up, quickly diagnosed as a "complicated" case (because my passport still had a year before it expired) and sent to sit down, carrying a little tab with 'D 713' printed on it in blue ink.
Then we waited, alongside a hundred other people, for the screen hanging from the ceiling to flash our number.
'D 705' was up there FOREVER. I thought I was going to scream.
By this time I was tired (hadn't slept), stressed (I don't like beeping offices, guards in uniform, or the possibility that this whole trip could be a waste of time if there is too much glare on my picture, or something stupid like that), and hungry. This equals a shaky Jill.
I nibbled at my granola bar and felt a little better.
When the screen had reached about 'D 710' one of the guys in uniform started telling everyone about a 'faster' way to get your passport if you weren't such-and-such, and you were such-and-such. Just follow him over here and you could be done in 20 minutes.
I was keeping one eyeball on him and one eyeball on the screen that was now flashing 'D 711'. Should I wait or go?
Mom and I got up and asked him a few questions...seemed like we fit the criteria.
'D 712'
Just as we were about to follow him out of the room...
"Bing Bing" D 713!
"We're up mom!"
That decided for us.
We were done in 10 minutes. The lady didn't think our case was so complicated after all.
So now hopefully I will have my new and improved passport in my hands in 3-4 weeks.
Hurrah!

2 comments:
Yay for paper work and waiting in lines! It's a little dehumanizing - the whole "take-your-number-and-wait-to-get-herded-through" procedure. And yet you sit there impatient and afraid to go to the bathroom in case you number comes up while you're gone.
....that job just might be worse than timmy's...your customers aren't just grumpy people waiting for their coffee, but grouchy people who get angry, frustrated, panicky, and weepy if their paperwork doesn't work out.
But I'm glad that it all worked out for you!
I hope you get it back soon Jill! One step closer to Ireland - yeah!
Post a Comment