Friday, November 23

"Cultured"

I went to a ballet tonight.
I now consider myself very sophisticated.
Except, to be honest, I was nearly bored to tears.
If I hadn't had a crinkly bag of crinkly individually wrapped toffees to keep me company, I would have been in a sad state indeed...
I don't know if that is very sophisticated of me.

I was kindly invited to enjoy this evening at the Cork Opera House by one of the ladies in the church and her daughter, who is an aspiring ballerina. The production was called "Giselle", and as far as I could tell it was about a young girl who fell in love with a prince who was masquerading as a commoner. He wooed her until a rival exposed him, and it was discovered he was already betrothed to be married to a wealthy noblewoman. Giselle died of a broken heart, and that was the end of Part I.
Part II was all white-clad spirit girls dancing, and Handsome Prince having a final dance with Spirit Giselle.
It was about 2 1/2 hours including the intermission.
The dancing was impressive for sure, but I guess I'm just not "cultured" enough to fully appreciate ballet for that length of time!
Though I do think I would like to see The Nutcracker...at least then I would enjoy the music, if nothing else!
Anyway, now I can say I've been to a ballet.
Opera is next on my list :)



EDIT: can anyone tell me the significance of today's date? I'll be very impressed...

7 comments:

HCOS support teacher said...

Jellyfish invasion kills 140,000 salmon off NI coast?? ... probably not what you're looking for, but it did happen in N. Ireland today!

HCOS support teacher said...

OH I know!!! You've been in Ireland one whole month!! My, time flies! Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

I just recently saw Gisele in Edmonton. The second part is actually the ghosts of all the spurned women trying to lure the guy to his death and Gisele trying to save him. If he can stay alive until daylight, he will be safe. Some ballets are better than others but you are right about The Nutcracker. Everyone needs to see it at least once. I took Gracelyn to see it last year.

Anonymous said...

My mother-in-law took me to the symphony and I fell asleep.
My excuse is that I was pregnant.
-Danica

Becks said...

Men in tights. HOT. hahah.

I haven't been to a ballet production in a long time. I think it's a bit like shakespeare...it can be good if you know the story inside out before hand...

I don't know...I'm sort of partial to ballet though...I took it for several years and sort of regret quitting. I think women ballerinas are beautiful to watch...but men in tights is a little harder to swallow. :P. hahah

PJ said...

haha...too true.
Thanks for explaining the second part of the show Aunty Sharla...it makes more sense now! So that's why the rival guy died. I just didn't get it before.
That's right Mom! But the appropriate response would have been "Every day has been torture!", not "How time flies!" :D

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha ha ah ah, etc..!!!