Tuesday, November 27

A Taste of Ireland


Haha...that is totally misleading.
These cookies are probably eaten everywhere. You may have created them already at some point. However...
The other day I baked some "biscuits" (the supply was running low, since we each have at least one a day when we have tea). Its a nice recipe that I got from a local lady. Nothing fancy, but good for dipping in a hot drink.

Irish Tea Biscuits
2 oz butter

2 oz margarine
2 tbl Golden Syrup
1 tsp bread soda (dissolved in 1 tsp water)


1 cup plain flour (I usually add more)

1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup granulated sugar

The recipe calls for a tsp of salt, but I would recommend only a pinch of salt.

Melt butter, margarine, golden syrup, and bread soda in a saucepan (NOT in the microwave!). In a bowl mix dry ingredients. (The breadsoda has a very strong flavor so I find I like it better with only a very, very, very little bit of salt, or none at all if you prefer). Add melted ingredients and stir until mixed. If it is really goopy, add more flour. That's what I did. Roll into into balls about the size of a loonie and place on greased pan. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. When cooled, serve with tea, and dip!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strange ingredients. What is bread soda..is that like baking soda? Sounds like you are getting in the baking mood! :)