Volunteering at the City Gates Cafe in Cork is usually a lot of fun, and I had been thinking that I don't mind working in a coffee shop, and its nice, and la, la, la...but yesterday I got a little reminder of the negative side...the Annoying Customer.
*cue mystical "rippling" effect and harp music as we go back in time...*
First of all you must understand that previous to my time in the coffee shop here I would not be able to tell you the difference between a cappuccino and a latte, or an americano to a macchiato. But thanks to my little cheat sheet I can flaunt my knowledge to all and sundry.
Anyway, this lady comes in an orders a cappuccino so what do I do? Read the cheat sheet of course! Double shot of expresso + "textured" (read: steamed) milk = Cappuccino. Yay for me!
Unfortunately I am unable to make the milk foam much so it doesn't look quite as flashy as I might like, but all in all I'm rather proud of myself. I'm just easily pleased like that.
A few minutes later the lady comes by to pay and I ring it up: cappuccino = 2.95
So I tell her. And she goes,
"How much is it?"
"2.95" Sometimes my accent can be hard for people to understand, so I don't mind repeating myself.
"For a regular coffee?" She asks.
"Oh I'm sorry I thought you ordered a cappuccino," I say, thinking I had made a mistake.
"I did," She says, "But I only got a regular coffee."
"Oh no," I assure her, "That's a cappuccino."
"No its not." She says firmly.
"Um...yes it is." Trying to still sound chirpy at this point.
"No its not." She repeats.
Should I revert to age 8 mode and start shouting, "Is to?". I'm really not very good with confrontation, and I'm not too sure what the policy here is for cranky customers.
"I don't mean to sounds rude," She says, sounding very rude, "But it is NOT a cappuccino. It tastes like coffee."
Whoa...hold on a minute. A specialty coffee tastes like coffee?! Something must be seriously wrong here! (forgive me...sometimes the sarcastic voice in my head is the only thing that keeps me sane. Frightening isn't it?)
She wouldn't pay for it, insisting that it was a regular coffee, so in the end she only paid for a regular coffee. And it made me angry.
Just goes to show that even though I might be hitting the big 2-0 tomorrow, I still have a lot of growing up to do! I let people like that get under my skin, and I take everything personally. And if I had spoken to her in the way that I really wanted to, she probably would not think very highly of the Christians at City Gate Cafe...
5 years ago

3 comments:
LOL!! I love the sarcastic voice in your head. You really should let it out to play. ;)
ha!ha!ha!
Sonya it used to get out a lot more when I lived at home, but you gotta be careful with all the red-heads around here...haha! By the way I will take this opportunity to officially request an invite to your blog-- I promise to comment more! :D
Post a Comment