Today the NEW Level Ones entered the kitchen for the first time.
I am no longer among their number, for I have entered that prestigious elevation of LEVEL TWO!
In case you didn't know.
As a Level Two my role has changed in the kitchen. I must take more responsibility and initiative, and get more things done, and ask far fewer "Level One" questions.
My dishes have to be on time, I must know my cooking methods, and I must use my recipes less.
This has all been strictly implemented and enforced these past 2 weeks. "No more excuses" has become the instructors' (and bossy/arrogant students') mantra.
As the newbies trundled into the kitchen this morning, wandering around looking for aprons, setting out their cutting boards and pans in the way you are taught but nobody actually uses, and staring at recipes with glazed-over expressions, I fondly remembered my own first days.
Or not so fondly.
The confusion, the chaos, and general mayhem were definitely memorable though.
My first week in Veg Station was a nightmare.
I was terrified of my instructor, Sully, I didn't understand the service system, and since the Level One class outnumbered the Level Two class by nearly 3/1, it seemed like NO ONE knew what they were doing. We were yelled at, we burnt things, and we were never on time.
(By the second week, many of the wrinkles had been ironed out, and Sully quickly became my very favoritist instructor ever)
Watching the new recruits today was interesting because they asked many of the same questions I did, and made the same mistakes, and now I can see how my work habits have changed, and my knowledge has increased in the past semester. Its encouraging. It makes me believe that MAYBE...just MAYBE I might be capable of Level Three when the time comes.
5 years ago

6 comments:
Yay! Congratulations on making it to Level 2. I wonder what injuries will come with this new level? ;)
Sully..hehe
Isn't that a great feeling though?
I'll admit.
Even at work, i felt that satifaction when i had been there for almost a year and the new people were coming in again and asking questions and doing things...wrong.the best part. I could tell them what to do =D
haha
happy birthday by the way =D
please don't get to old.
Just more proof that the college encourages elitism. I always have people telling me that I'm a bad person for what I said about the heirarchy that is in place, but they actually enforce it.
As an entry level student you idolize the older, wiser, more street smart students, who get along with the teachers and know how everything works. Then when you reach that staged and you are being idolized you sort of let the system take hold.
I could on for pages about this, it's very dear to my heart.
Well, well, you're moving on and up in the world. Just think to way back then when you used to be one of the newbies!
And you'll have graduated and be out in the workforce in no time, looking at all those scars, and thinking about your student days.
How many levels are there anyways?
Hey Jill,
I just saw on my blog that you had asked after the stoneware. Sorry I missed it.
I think my sister in law Ashley claimed it, but she wasn't sure. I'll double check with her and get back to you.
Sorry!
-Danica
Post a Comment