It blows my mind to think that four short weeks ago I was swaddled in numerous layers of clothing, shivering under the covers of my wool blanket, my feather duvet, and my sleepingbag. I was completely frozen, and the rain was thundering on the roof, while an icy draft seeped under the door frame.
I thought to myself, What have I done? Have I forsaken warmth forever, to cook on this frozen mountain? When I went to work in the morning I would bundle up, and huddle by the oven to keep warm.
How things change!
These past few days summer has charged in with a vengeance! 30 plus degree weather, not a cloud in the sky...perfect vacationing heat.
But not perfect cooking heat!
The kitchen staff have been suffering. With both ovens, burners, and dishpit running from 6AM-8PM, and recently cut-down shade trees missing...well, it gets pretty toasty in there. Especially since I am wearing socks, and shoes, long pants, a tanktop, and my long-sleeve cook jacket! Sometimes it just comes over you like a wave and you think you're not gonna make it.
Inevitably tempers get short, and everyone is just wanting the day to end.
I have been guzzling water, as well as seeking refuge in the walk-in cooler whenever possible. My appetite is completely gone in the heat, so I haven't been porking out as much...that is at least one positive :)
After work I get changed into my bathingsuit and jump in the lake. Its sooo cold, but sooo refreshing. And then I think, How lucky am I to be able live here? Pretty lucky, I think.
5 years ago

2 comments:
Yes, you are blessed, my dear! The Island is so beautiful..in the sun! :) I don't envy the hot kitchen.. actually it was super warm in the house the last few days here, too. Yesterday I actually swam in the pool! LAPS!!!
I can totally picture you taking five in the cooler. Hey, whatever works!
Post a Comment