Tuesday, July 7

Thunderous Storm


The other night I fell asleep to the pitter patter of rain on the roof...quite soothing.
A few hours later, I was awakened by the loudest crack of thunder I think I have ever heard! It was a bit of a scary moment! I froze into a rigid, confused little ball. The rain had become a torrential storm, beating against the building on all sides, and an icy cold draft stole through the window, snaking its way around my neck and beneath my warm duvet. My roommate was away so I was alone in this big old room, while the room became fully illuminated again and again as lightening struck, and thunder boomed milliseconds afterwards.
I was right in the very center of this storm!
I still can't believe how loud the thunder was...seriously, it was so intense and crazy. It sounded like the property was ripping apart from the very core of the earth. I'm not one to be afraid in a thunderstorm- I actually think they are fantastic, and enjoy them very much- but I'm not going to lie to you...I was a little freaked out. This one sounded like it was right outside my door. And it was. I wondered if our building would be struck by lightening and set on fire. Luckily, we were spared.
However, a tree in the high-ropes course just behind us was struck, and ruined.

The next morning it was all anyone could talk about.
All us BC-ers were so wowed, but everyone from East of BC was like, "We get storms like that all the time!"
Craziness! It was a first time for me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only witnessed one thunderstorm that nearly scared me to death and that was in Texas where thunderstorms can mean tornados.

Becks said...

I love thunderstorms...the little bit of scare I get is what makes them exciting, to me.

It's cool when you can actually feel the rumble.