I think one of the reasons I started cooking, all those years ago (for my family), was because we have a rule* in our house that whoever made dinner doesn't have to clean up. I loved being able to create the meal, and then sit back with a full stomach, and relax as my mess was tidied up.
Its not that I have an aversion to cleaning kitchens. I don't mind clearing the table, wiping counters, sweeping, putting dishes away...but inevitably there are those items that can't be put through the dishwasher, and must be washed by hand.
I do not like washing things by hand.

I need to find a guy like this.
I don't know why this is. When I think about it, its really not so terrible. I just...I don't like it. I think its something to do with dirty water. All the grossness is just swimming around in there. It gives me the shivers. I think this is linked to my pet peeve of dirty dishes sitting in a sink filled with
cold dirty dishwater. It drives me CRAZY!!! Just thinking about it makes me mad.
I will gladly dry the dishes. I will gladly fill the dishwasher.
But please...do not make me wash the dishes.
* like all rules in the Coulter household, it is "flexible"...which means I have to (firmly) remind everyone about it, or I will be put to work.
4 comments:
I love washing dishes! I find it somehow therapeutic. For some reason, I don't like loading the dishwasher though.
Dishes in cold, grey dishwater IS gross though. We've never done that.
I don't mind washing dishes. It's the amount of times in one day that I have to do it that gets on my nerves.
I like soaking dirty dishes in water, because half the job is done when the water drains away. Much easier to clean dishes when the crud is not dried on. Even a dishwasher appreciates this and doesn't have to work half as hard!
Cleaning the kitchen / washing the dishes is actually my favorite household chore. Good thing, too, because it's the one thing Matthew despises.
(I make him do the ironing. I hate ironing).
Post a Comment