"Once" is a movie about a heartbroken Irish musician who meets with a young Polish immigrant in downtown Dublin (There were a few "Hey! I've been on that street!" scenes), where they begin to sort out their lives while teaming up to create some beautiful music together. I watched it this summer, and bought the soundtrack the very next day.

It is one of the most raw and emotional CDs I've ever listened to, yet so awesome, especially the Oscar-winning song, "Falling Slowly". This guy really sings from his heart, which sometimes results in a less-than-perfect-pitch, but I think that is half the charm.
Just the other day I spotted another CD while in line at Starbucks (Hey, I guess it is good for something other than overpriced, over-hyped coffee!) with strangely familiar faces and a sticker that, among other things, mentioned "Once".
Apparently the two musicians from the movie have started a band called The Swell Season (or maybe they had it before?), and the CD was titled, Strict Joy. I snapped it up without even thinking about it. Which is extremely unusual for me. I almost never buy music. I just couldn't pass this up.

Strict Joy warms my heart with the same acoustic sound and great vocals, without the melancholy titles, like "Lies", "Leave", and "Trying to Pull Myself Away". It is much more upbeat, but still lovely.
I'm definitely on the look-out for more of their music. I don't think I will ever get tired of it!

7 comments:
Hmmm...sounds like something I might have to check out. I'm always on the prowl for interesting new music.
Haha, Funny.
As soon as I realized what you were talking about I was like 'Hey, I saw a cd at Starbucks with those people, I should tell her about it'
But you already have it. :)
I have not seen the movie yet. It didn't really seem like the type I would like. But if you recommend it I will have to rent it.
I do like the Falling Slowly song.. I'll have to listen to the soundtrack.
AHHHH!! They have another CD! How exciting! I'm so stoked!! Now I just need to get to Starbucks so I can buy it. How is it?
I really enjoyed the movie and the music. I'll put it on my list of 'listen to"s.
I've been on the lookout for a great new CD. Maybe I'll try it.
I love Starbucks. I'm willing to pay the price. Although I do prefer Cowboy Coffee.
I like the "Once" soundtrack better, but they definitely are a great duo, so I'm stoked for any of their music.
My Dad thinks its the worst thing he's ever heard, so...I guess its not for everyone ;)
Post a Comment