Monday, February 15

My "Secret" Obsession

I have been invited to a Murder Mystery dinner party for this Friday. Its 1920's themed, and I can no longer suppress my wild excitement!
I have always taken a huge (nerdy) interest in the styles and cultures of bygone days, not to mention "dressing up" was one of my favorite pastimes as a kid.
Social Studies was one of my best-loved subjects in school, and as a teen I was frequently planning themed costume parties or short dramas. Any excuse to wear a costume would do!


As a result of this invitation, I've been plotting my costume, makeup, hairstyle, and googling anything/everything 1920's.It was really a remarkable time in history-- there was so much going on, and (North) American culture was changing at a breakneck pace.
The woman's role in society was undergoing a huge change-- they had just won "the vote" and felt a new confidence and independence due to managing the country while their men were at war just a short time previous. The new generation discarded their heavy, constrictive clothing and shocked their elders with shapeless, "revealing" dresses, bobbed hair, and plenty of dramatic makeup (applied in public-- oh my!).

They were shocking, free-spirited, and the world was their oyster. What an exciting time it must have been!

I know the murder mystery will be a fantastically fun night! I only wish I could learn to dance the Charleston as well as these girls have :)

6 comments:

Danica said...

If you're looking for clothes, you should check out Pandora's Costume Box downtown. They've got everything.

PJ said...

where is that? and are they for sale, or rent?

Maureen said...

Ron got a wonderful Dickens era costume there at Christmas. Unfortunately they are in the same strip mall as the adult (video?) store (across from Memorial arena). So be careful where you park and don't look anyone in the eyes.

Maureen said...

Oh yeah - he rented his. It was $50 for the top hat, jacket, shirt, scarf. So not cheap. Behn went a few days later and got just the hat for $15.

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope you'll post pictures of yourself in your costume.

mum said...

With a little practice, you could be as good as those ladies!