I do solemnly swear never to become an iZombie.(By the way i never knew that was an actual coined word until I googled it. But what else is new?)
Nothing irks me more than otherwise normal, interesting people who choose to zone out and ignore the world around them by wearing head/earphones, and thus declare that their music is more important/interesting than anyone they might meet or talk to.
Ok, a loner of the bus can get away with it because let's face it, half the people on the bus your mother doesn't want you associating with anyway. But when you start to miss out on normal social interactions because you are tuned in to you ipod/mp3 player I think its time to put it away for a while and remember what life was like without an accompanying soundtrack.
So here's the news: I got an iPod nano for my birthday! Yay me! I love it. I really do. What an awesome gift! But I'm super paranoid I'm going to become an iZombie. I don't want to walk through my life ignoring everyone around me, interested in hearing only the things I choose to hear. I don't want people to feel that I'm only listening to them with one ear when they talk to me.
I will strive to only listen to my iPod when no one else requires my attention. If you see me turning into an iZombie, please, please, feel free to unplug me from my new toy and tell me. I'll be listening with both ears.

10 comments:
izombie's annoy me too. it's the worst when your talking to someone and they have one earphone in!
I like that term, izombie!
Here's to you...(clinking ipods)....not becoming an izombie!
Hahaha, I'm sorta a half izombie i admit...
When ever im in town shopping or in the car i will have my ipod on... BUT, i only ever have one bud in my ear, and i always take it out when im talking to somebody or like.. paying for something.
so that makes it acceptable. right? :P
Ju I totally agree. I discovered the delights of iPod-ing on the bus today. During solitary moments such as the ones you mentioned are perfectly acceptable (to me).
But I too HATE talking to people who are glued to their iPod (even if they only have one bud in). It IS rude.
I said i took it out when i talk to people though! gosh...:P
Uh-oh.. 2 comments from me, i've used my alotment up for the next couple weeks now..
iZombi, I like that. You do feel ignored when someone has those plugged in their ears. When I was at work I found a guys keys he left on the table and I was trying to tell him where they were and he was totally ignoring me, I felt dumb and then realized he had an iPod on he couldn't here me.
Join us, its not so bad. Some of us prefer the music we love to the annoying people we have to deal with sometimes. Although, I will take my headphones I like if I REALLY need to talk to someone, or if I think they're neat.
Oh I don't doubt that its more fun to listen to music than annoying people...but its still rude.
Well maybe sometimes its ok to be rude! Ask my brother, I've made a living out of it.
I'm one of those loners on the bus. haha.
But I love having my mp3 with me for school. Sometimes I NEED to zone out or cut out distracting sounds at school.
I totally hear you though.
Post a Comment