I bring happier news this day.
I have never been much of a Bargain Master (note the capital letters. It is a title). Bargain Masters are crazy people who can find brilliant things for brilliant prices. Oftentimes the brilliant prices come as a result of their bartering.
The mere thought of arguing over a price makes me uncomfortable. Normally I would willingly cough up the extra cash, or just not buy the item, rather than barter for it. Needless to say, the merchants in Guatemala made a killing off me...
However, I have recently come into my Dutch heritage, and perhaps one day I will become a Bargain Master.
The other day we borrowed the movie "Emma" from the lady at the movie store (The store didn't actually carry it, it was her own personal copy). As probably most of you know, I absolutely adore that movie!
I found myself in the movie store the next day by coincidence, and apologized for not having it on hand to return it.
She told me not to worry, because she didn't even like it that much, and I could buy it if I wanted.
Gazoo!
I wasn't about to let the opportunity drop.
"How much do you want for it?" I asked.
"How about $10?" She said.
This is where I pause and explain the sudden transformation. See, my Dutch ancestry rose up and revolted against paying $10 for a used DVD, and without thinking (that is key to the transformation I am referring to) I said,
"We-e-e-e-lllllll, I could buy it new at Wal-mart for $10."
"Ok, how about $5." She said.
"Done." Said I.
And I bought that glorious DVD that I have wanted for a very long time for the wonderous price of $5.
And if that isn't really a good deal, don't tell me so, because right now I feel like a Bargain Master.
5 years ago

4 comments:
You have Irish, Scottish AND Dutch ancestry, so this is only the beginning, my dear girl. If only I was that good at bargaining! We shall see if/when I stroll the streets of Dallas at the end of the month, when their annual garage sale takes place.
Great deal Jill - I hope you enjoy watching it again and again and again!
Sometimes speaking up really does pay off! Hope you enjoy your rock-bottom-price movie!
haha congrats for making the big step. I wonder what would have happened if she would have said take it or leave it....
what would you have done?
Post a Comment