Well it was my last day at work yesterday...
It was a pretty sweet job because it was usually not very busy, so I could do a lot of reading when everything else was done.
That was a nice change, because since grade 11 I really haven't done a whole lot of reading.
Of the books I finished in the past month or so, Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell, and Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller were my favorites.
When I was reading Velvet Elvis, I was like WOW. It is such an amazing book! I felt like it was a year of Bible School squished into one short little book...though I've never been to Bible school, so that might not be accurate at all...
It had some really good things to say (I kept thinking, "I've got to remember this quote so I can blog about it!"....but alas...) and I liked how he made such an emphasis on how we should always be questioning, critiquing, and wrestling with how the Bible is interpreted, instead of just mindlessly accepting whatever anyone says it says. I know I am totally guilty of allowing myself to be "spoonfed".
There is so, SO, much to absorb from that book. I took it out of the church library, but now I wish it was mine so I could take it with me to Ireland. There is still so much I can learn from it.
Through Painted Deserts was not as awe-inspiring, or as deep...but it is by Donald Miller, and I love his style. I absolutely LOVED Blue Like Jazz, and while TPD was not as good as that one, it was funny and thought-provoking. And it said a lot of things that I can relate to at this point in my life.
In conclusion:
If you have time to read, and are looking for a good book, get Through Painted Deserts. Or Blue Like Jazz.
And even if you don't have time to read, and have a stack of good books waiting to be read, go and get Velvet Elvis and READ IT...because it will change the way you think about Christianity. In a good way.
(Pictures are on my librarything link to your right)
5 years ago

2 comments:
yeah, I read Velvet Elvis during the summer and was truly refreshed. It's one of those books that I'm going to have to read numerous times to glean everything from it. There is SO much stuff packed into.
It's too bad that I wasn't able to see you before you left. I'm going to try and give you a phone call tonight. If I don't get you on the phone:
Have a great trip Jill and keep us updated! I'll miss you...much love! :D
*ps...women are NOT the root of all evil!!!. hahah. ;D
Hey blog buddy bekaroo! We will definitely keep in touch! And yah it does suck we didn't get a chance to hang out. Why do I always leave it to the last minute??
Anyway...I will miss you too!
*ps. that is very true! I told Unger to check out 1 Timothy 6:10...haha...
Post a Comment