Sunday, December 2

Sunday School with Jill

I used to be so organized. And tidy. And conscientious.
I don't know what happened, or why, or when I began to get so scatterbrained!
Maybe there is something in the air on Quadra Island (possibly the fumes of that funny smelling stuff all the hippies smoke?) that got into my head and made me waaaaay too laid back for my own good. Seriously. I used to get so uptight and stressed about things, and lately even if it is important I just kind of shrug, "Whatever".
On one hand I like it because I never get too worried about stuff, on the other I think maybe I'm too easy-going and just getting lazy...
Sunday School for instance. This morning was my first time doing Sunday School alone. I'd stayed in a couple weeks ago to see how it was done, but with 10-15 kids crammed into a tiny little portable classroom I think I was more just overwhelmed!
So I knew about four weeks ago that today would be "my turn", and I had all week to prepare.
But I thought, "How hard can it be. I'll just flip through it on Saturday." And I did.
I cracked open the workbooks and teachers manual last night. There were a couple different ones to choose from for the different ages, so I just picked one I liked, read the passage, jotted down a couple notes that didn't really make any sense whatsoever, prepped the "visual learning aid" or whatever it's called, and decided to run to the store to nab some cookies aka "Manna from Heaven" for the kids. How terrible is that?
So this morning there were 2 kids in Sunday School. A brother and sister.
I was like, "Oh no. How am I going to drag out this lesson?!" I was kind of counting on a lot of mass chaos to fill in the time.
So bracing myself for an excruciating 45 minutes, I led them into the Sunday School room.
I got the Kerry (the older of the two) to read some of the verses and then we talked about them and then read some more and talked about them a little more, then had some chocolate-covered manna from heaven (a big hit with Lee), and then they did their workbooks while we talked about their new guinea pigs. And it was actually pretty fun!
Their mom had invited me to come back to their house for lunch, so I spent a good portion of the day with their family and the kids just chatted away and showed me their guinea pigs Toffee and Rollo. Driving me home, Christine, their mom, said she had rarely seen Lee so talkative, especially with a "stranger"! (I think the 'manna' won him over)
So even though the Sunday School lesson was perhaps under-prepared and super laid back I feel I've made some progress in a sense.

But I'm not sure the same approach will work for the Family Service I have to lead on the 23rd...!

2 comments:

Kriss said...

Yes, win the kids over with sweets! That's the way to do it Jill. :)
Sounds like you had a fun time anyways and who knows, maybe the kids learned way more this week then they would have if there had been an extra 9 or so kids in the room.
Our service was cancled today becuase we have over 2 feet of snow in Courtenay/Comox. It's not that deep out here in Union Bay, but it's still coming down! Lots of winter wonderland fun though :)

Anonymous said...

You are doing great! Wish I could be there for the family service...! :)