Monday, January 21

Lurker's Lurgy

Lurk.er, n. 1. One who lurks.
Lur.gy, n. 1. British English slang for an unspecified or mythical contagious disease, generally one considered inconvenient and non-fatal with obvious symptoms, such as influenza or the common cold.


Have you ever read a blog and not commented?
Did the blog belong to someone you knew?
Maybe someone you didn't know well?
Maybe someone you didn't know at all?
If yes, then you have the dreaded Lurker's Lurgy.
I myself suffer from a mild case. I know how you feel...you find the blog entertaining, interesting, or at the very least a good method of procrastination. The topic of a specific post might make you laugh, smile, or spark controversy.
You react to the words on the screen, but you don't comment because...

You are afraid.
You think: "The blogger will think I'm creepy. They will think I'm stalking them, they will stop posting, they won't write as honestly, they will be weirded out, etc."

I have felt these things, my friends. I know your pain. Lurker's Lurgy is an uncomfortable affliction, closely associated with guilt and insecurity.

But if they didn't want people to read their blog, it wouldn't be open to the public now would it? No. So, moving on...

The only cure to Lurker's Lurgy is Commenting.
Revealing yourself.
Exposed for the Nosy, Time-Wasting, Addicted blogger you are!

Don't turn away! Its not as bad as it sounds. After all, we are all in this together. See, the thing is we all have it to some degree...so there is a capacity for understanding when a Lurker confesses! The blogger will understand where the Lurker is coming from, because chances are, that blogger lurks as well. So there are benefits all around!

1. The Lurker is cured of Lurker's Lurgy, and now has the freedom to comment when and how they please.
2. A sense of Blogging Community is nurtured.
3.The Blogger will have more comments to read, and appreciate, thus spurring them on to blog more regularly.
3. The Lurker-Turned-Commenter gets to read more regular updates!

As Mufasa would say, we are all connected in the Great Circle of Life! *private snicker*

You might think, "Easy for you to say. I'll bet you've never De-Lurked in your life."
That's where you'd be wrong. I've de-lurked plenty of times, in fact, if you blog and have received a comment from me that is evidence that I've De-Lurked right there. Furthermore, I De-Lurked today. I officially revealed my Lurking Presence to a Blogger I have never met.
I was scared. But I did it...and in doing so, received a taste of the antidote to Lurker's Lurgy. Maybe in time I will be wholly cured, and comment indiscriminately wherever I go.

I encourage you to conquer your festering case of Lurker's Lurgy, for blogging's sake.
You can start today, by clicking the little brown link just down there that says "friends left a note". You can introduce yourself, tell how you found this blog, and why you read it, and then you will be a friend of PJ too!
Wouldn't that be exciting?!
Go on...do it! Do it! Do it!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not really a lurker since I have commented a few times. But I thought I'd leave a comment today anyways. :)

~L.J~ said...

Haha that is a funny word Lurgy... Ya I found that amusing so I thought I would mention it =) And I agree personally I love getting comments cause it makes me feel happy that someone took the time to write something to me! Yay me!!!

Kriss said...

Okay, okay, you got me. I will not be ashamed though...I will step forth and boldly type my comments from now on (even though I still think that some people might think I'm totally crazy!). Phew. Glad I got that out of my system. :) Thanks Jill.

Cardinal's Cove said...

haha! awesome.

Ok, I am a hypocrite. I will go blog right now.

Karen said...

You always give me a great laugh Jill and so here I am de-lurking myself.

HCOS support teacher said...

If you say 'lurk' enough times it sounds really DUMB!!

MashedTaterz said...

I will protest this blatant post of 'lurk' bashing by continuing to keep up my strict rule of lurking at all costs.

I have even sacrificed my standards by coming out of lurk mode long enough to post this rebuttal.

I hope your happy....

Anonymous said...

This post is a morality trap! I am the fly and you are the sticky tape.
-Laura

netablogs said...

new post! new post!!

D said...

I occasionally drop by. I am a regular reader of your mom's blog, and I met you at Hot Dog Lunch once or twice. Here I am delurking.

Anonymous said...

I am not a lurker as I expose myself regularly!!! But hello anyway!

PJ said...

Good to hear from you all, and congratulations on conquering your lurgy! I'm so proud *tear tear*...
And I know there are more of you out there, I could even name names, but that would be no fun...so feel free to reveal yourselves any time :D