Right, so here are the first few answers to your questions! I know there are more of you out there just dying to ask me some more questions about Ireland, so feel free to leave more in the Comment Box, and if there's are a lot I might do another post next Friday! Wouldn't that be exciting?!
How are the grocery stores different than (Canadian ones)?
Everything is smaller. You couldn't find a 4-liter jug of milk if you paid a million dollars for it. They come in 1 or 2 liter portions (and there's no fuss about 1% or 2%...its semi-skimmed, or "fresh" -whole- milk).
Eggs come in packs of 6 most of the time, there are no "jumbo" cereal boxes or chocolate chips to be found, and I had quite a time trying to find molasses for my gingersnap recipe because no one knew what it was!
Peanut butter has a bright US flag on it ("REAL AMERICAN PEANUT BUTTER!") and ("REAL CANADIAN!") Maple syrup is outrageously expensive.
The most popular grocery stores (Centra, Supervalu, Tesco, etc) have home delivery services and nifty little vans that zip around and drop off their bundles of joy.
There are loads of bakeries and butchers around every corner.
I can't think of anything more right now. Next!
Do you have Starbucks?
In theory, yes. I haven't seen one, but I heard there is a Starbucks in some remote corner of Cork city. Needless to say, its not very popular (I just have to point out that there is a little chain of corner stores called Spar that sells Tim Hortons donuts. Tim Hortons is loved. Starbucks is not. Ha!). The most popular coffee chain is an Irish business called O'Briens which is kind of like a blend of Starbucks and Tim Hortons. Its hugely popular and hugely over-priced!
What is the fashion trend there?
It isn't that different from what was going on in Canada when I left. A few things I noticed were:
1. a certain style of wide leg jeans (I like!!)
2. loose-fitting waist-length jackets with empire waist, big buttons, and 3/4 length sleeve.
3. long fingerless gloves that reach to elbow to make up for that 3/4 length sleeve,
4. Fake tans are HUGE here. And disgusting. People are shamelessly orange.
5. The ugg boot is also a hideous favorite.
But who knows, maybe those things have entered the Canadian scene while I was away??
For guys I've noticed a lot of buzz/crew cuts, wide-striped hoodies, and an overall skulky, goonish, appearance. Not that I'm judging. Its just an outsiders opinion.
What kind of music is on the radio?
Again, its all very similar-- thanks for ruining my authentic Irish experience globalization!
Then again I'm not a huge radio-listener so maybe it is really different. When I first arrived it seemed like all they played was "Bleedin' Love" by Leona Lewis, "Do You Know" by Enrique, not to mention a lot of Westlife (which is an Irish band...and it sucks). But really, most other music is like Coldplay, Snow Patrol, and other things I don't know :P
What are the most common kinds of cars?
In my pre-Irish life I knew five different types of vehicles: the car, the van, the truck, the JEEP!, and the RAV!!!
Now there is a sixth, the van/car. Its like a tiny fat, short van. And its popular over here. But mostly there are just cars. And I don't know their make. I just know they are cars.
There are NO trucks here (except for one....you'll read about that in a sec) And I've only seen one jeep and it lives down the road.
Any strange animals?
The strange thing is that there are no animals.
At least not wild ones. No bears, no snakes (thanks to St. Patty?), no wolves...
The scariest thing you will meet here is a badger, and the last one I saw was looking a little deflated on the side of the road. I saw a fox once too, and that was neat. But mostly there are just a lot of birds.
Where are all those cute sheep farmers?
Apparently they are out tending their sheep as sheep farmers tend to do, and not attending church to meet young single Canadian girls! I spotted one once, and he was just arrived in town driving a truck and wearing wellies and wool sweater. I was walking on the other side of the street, otherwise who knows what romance might have blossomed...
What's the most exciting place you visited so far?
Oh boy...I don't know! I really loved Kilkenny, especially climbing the tower, the Mitchelstown Caves, but the Giant's Causeway was pretty sweet too!
How many cobble stone streets are there around?
It depends how old the city is. There aren't any in Fermoy, but there's a few in Cork, and Kilkenny was riddled with 'em! (they hurt if you are walking in thin little shoes like mine!)
Is there a McDonalds around?
There are plenty of Mc'Ds...with the "euro-saver" menu that I love. Erk. Really I'm not a huge fan so I've only eaten there once, but Matt could probably tell you the location of every McDonalds in Ireland.
What's the temp / climate like compared to here?
I think its a lot like the climate on the west coast. Rainy and mild. The cold is a very different cold than Kamloops....its very damp and it gets into your bones! Brrr...
Its very windy and overcast lately, but apparently in July and August they will get "highs" of 17!! haha...
The weather is really very volatile. It will be shining happily for 20 minutes and then suddenly you look up because everything has gone kind of dark and suddenly there is this NOISE. Rain pelting on the glass of the sunroom! Then 15 minutes later is stops and the sun shines again. Lather rinse repeat.
What is a popular snack?
"Crisps" aka chips (The 'tayto' brand is the general favorite), and "Chips" aka fries! Not really very healthy is it?!
Well that's all until next time...if there is a next time!
5 years ago

6 comments:
You will have to come over for a
"cup a" when you get back.
Sorry but I still can't get over that weirdness.
Coming over for Supper = coming over for a "Cup a"
???
Nooo....
Tea=Supper
Cuppa= coming over for a "cuppa" tea!
Supper = a snack before bed.
:P
Great post!
I have a question: What kinds of goodies can you get in those bakeries you mentioned?
I only know most of the McDonalds... not all of them. And it's travel research, so it's alright.
Another topic: Describe a typical church service in the church you attend.
What does a 'typical' Irish person look like? Any distinguishing characteristics? Do you look like one? :)
Are people as "busy" and "metro" as North Americans, or does it seem a little bit more laid back? Maybe it depends on how big of a centre you're in.
How about "global issues"? From casual observance are the Irish freaked about global warming, healthy eating fads, and wars in Iraq too?
Found any fellow Irish homeschoolers?
Do you still "stick out like a sore thumb"...or have you pretty much gone native now? And...are you working on your Irish accent or are you patriotically maintaining your Canadian one?
Post a Comment