I'm writing from Letterfrack Lodge, a nice clean, new, hostel in the teeny tiny village of Letterfrack, which is located in the Connemara area. In fact its a five minute walk from the Connemara National Park (which I vistied this morning!). Unfortunately Karissa has got some sort of stomach bug so she's been taking it easy since yesterday afternoon. She'll probabyl manage to write a few words of her own later on though.
From Donegal we got a bus to Westport, which won the "Tidiest Town" award or something. Definitely the prettiest and cleanest place we've been so far. We stayed at the Old Mill Hostel, which you may have guessed was a mill at one time. It was pretty cool. We did a long walk and visited the heritage centre (I got to read an original copy of Michael Collins' obituary! Pretty exciting for me), and then we decided (ok I decided and Karissa said ok) that on our second day we would climb Croagh Patrick! Its a huge mountain near Westport that Catholic Pilgrims climb every July to do penance or something. I'll get you more info later. Anyhoo, it was HARD!
It took us about 4 hours to do the whole thing and get back down. I have some amazing pictures to show you all when I get back.
That pretty much wiped us out, but we did meet some really friendly girls from California and attempted to find some traditional music at a pub somewhere with them...unfortunately we didn't find any and we were too tired to stay out very late.
Yesterday we got a taxi (long story) from Westport to Letterfrack...beeeeautiful drive!!! Amazing scenery. We got settled in our hostel and then walked 40 mins to Kylmore Abbey. That is when Karissa started feeling really sick, so we didn't spend a whole lot of time there, and got a ride back to Letterfrack with a really nice couple from Switzerland.
Met a nice girl called Aione last night, and amazingly she works at Bunratty castle and might be able to get us a discount when we go there. Hooray for the Irish!
This morning Karissa slept in and I went to the National Park and ended up climbing "The Diamond". Great views, and it only took me about an hour, so that was good. I'm pretty tired now though. Anyhoo, Karissa wants to get on I'm sure, so I should go. It was nice to get my fix though.
By the way I'm disapointed in you guys! Where are the comments? Are our mothers the only ones who care about us? Sniff sniff. If this keeps up I won't even bother posting pictures when I get back to Fermoy. So there. pbbt.
Jill
5 years ago

4 comments:
Hi Jill
Hey I've been doing major Lurking. I check every chance I get to see if there is a post. I feel like I won the lottery when I'm the first one to catch your new posts. Keep them coming.
Nice to hear you are really getting around and meeting lots of other travelers. Sounds like you are doing lots of walking.
Hope Karrisa is feeling better soon and you both can get back on your Merry way.
Dad
I am also lurking.
Show more pictures, please.
Need I mention that I have been reading and thoroughly enjoying, as usual? :)
hello Family! glad you're enjoying the posts, i seem to have a slight addiction to the internet so they should be fairly steady.
sorry no pictures until we hit fermoy later in the month! My camera cord is at home.
Jill
Post a Comment