Sunday, June 29

What's Up With Me?

So, I'm back in Fermoy since last Thursday, and while I was a wee bit out of sorts on Friday, yesterday and today have been grand. Saturday we delivered about 2,000 pamphlets advertising for the summer Bible camp next week, and then the Teens group went to Perks fun center for bowling, laser tag, and fun racecar games that are a complete rip-off but sooo sweet.

*two minute spider-killing interlude*

ick...it was a big black gross one. I got shivers down my spine looking at it. Couldn't very well go to sleep knowing that it was still roaming the house now, could I?
No.

Anyway, today at 3 some of the teens and I went to the Fermoy cinema to watch Prince Caspian. (One thing that sucks about living this side of the world is all the movies come out later. PC was just released June 26, as opposed to May 2 in North America)
I didn't quite remember how it all went in the book, as it wasn't one of my favorites (wahooo Horse & His Boy!!) so it was all quite new and exciting for me! While it was still pretty predictable (dare I say bordering on cheesy?...I don't know if I dare), I really enjoyed it and would watch it again with no hesitation. I could hardly believe it was 2 1/2 hours long, because it just flew! Plenty of battles and action (without the excess blood and gore, which I appreciate...) and entertaining new characters.
The only thing that really bothered me was how Lord of the Rings Wannabe it came off, with the whole Tree army thing, and the "live" river washing away the baddies. I'm not sure if those things were in the book or not, but it just felt like they were ripping it off LOTR.
As for the 'romance', it was so subtle that it really didn't matter until the end when you're kind of like..."Why?". But you don't really care enough to think about it beyond that.
Strangely enough I found that Prince Caspian prompted more spiritual thoughts for me than The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe did. While the former held more straightforward allusions, I found I was frequently drawing thought processes off scenes in PC, such as when Lucy asks Peter "do you remember who really defeated the White Witch?" (or something like that!). Like Peter I find I'm often trying to do things on my own, instead of remembering that it is Christ who has the power to win 'battles'.
There were plenty more little tidbits in there that I enjoyed, but you'll have to discover them for yourself.

This week will be busy enough to keep me out of trouble. I have a sunday school lesson to prepare, 3 mornings that the church is getting together to have a "gardening party" to shape up the manse backyard, a party at the cafe in Cork, packing and moving to Christine's (as the manse will be used to house the Bloomfield team that is coming down to run the Bible Camp), planning and prep for the coming week, possibly looking after some children at some point!, hopefully meeting with Katherine on Saturday, and I'm sure many more things will come up as well.

Then from the 6 - 13 is the Bible camp week which will be CRAZY I'm sure! On the 14th I fly out of Dublin to Edinburgh, and from the 15-20 I'm touring Scotland! Then I head down to London, and I fly home on the 22nd...I can hardly believe it.

On one hand I am really sad to leave everyone here. I've spent so much time with them, getting to know them, doing what they do, learning so much...
On the other, I'm kind of tired! And I miss home and my family and my friends...and familiarity.
Even though I've spent nearly 9 months here it doesn't quite feel like home. Its always felt temporary, which might be very much my fault, but nevertheless I'm not sure I ever settled completely! There's no place like home, and I am looking forward to it, which is actually kind of hard to admit in a way because I'd like to think of myself as a little bit independent and adventurous!
(Yeah riiiight....)

Anyhoo, now you know what my basic schedule is until I arrive in Canada!
I can't even begin to think about what happens after the plane lands in Vancouver, cause I'm just toooo tired.
And the jet lag is gonna be BRUTAL. whooopeeee.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great few weeks coming up for you, Jill! We are so looking forward to seeing you again. It seems like still a long ways away in some aspects because there's a lot going on between now and then. But time does move along, and before you know it, it'll seem like you've never left..just kidding! :)

Anonymous said...

http://narniafromatoz.blogspot.com/

Thought you might enjoy this site. It has downloadable talks, too.

Anonymous said...

Wow! It sounds like you still have so much to do before you leave. I'm exhausted just reading about it!

I've seen PC twice already (obviously I enjoyed it!) but thought the same thing in regards to some LOTR similarities.