Today was my last day sitting at a desk doing bookwork!
Well, sort of.
Since the course started last week, the class has been going through booklets about Health, Safety, Sanitation, Measurements, Conversions, Shipping, etc, etc...
We even watched some sweet videos on fire safety, made in the 70's and others made in the 80's. Some pretty classy acting in those things, let me tell you. Very impressive. The quality of the production reminded me of the Dharma Initiative tapes. Fun stuff.
Anyway, after much homework and stress I have at last completed the H-Line test, received my whites, and handed over the necessary forms, as well as laid the last of my life savings at the feet of the university.
Apparently that qualifies me to set foot in the kitchen.
Actually, we spent about 15-20 minutes in the kitchen today, learning "Knife Skills". I'm pretty much amazing now.
I can dice carrots and onions, and chop celery. Ya, pretty impressive, I know...
Tomorrow I start "Vegetables" with a few of my classmates, under the tutelage of the most intimidating instructor I have met so far. I am terrified.
I am very excited to get out of the classroom though! Even though it was great to get to know the other students (there are some seriously sweet people in my class! So thrilled to go through this with them!) and get myself back in to the 'school' routine, I want to improve in the practical ways, since the longer I am here the more I'm realizing how inexperienced I really am.
Since we took a test today and we start in the kitchen tomorrow, there is no homework tonight! A first! I'm pretty stoked about that because it means, 1. I can blog! 2. I can go help out at youth group tonight!
Unfortunately this freedom will be short-lived, as I will be getting up at 6Am regularly now, and working Friday nights and Saturday mornings, as well as an earlier weeknight shift. Brutal.
We had someone come into class today and explain about how there is a lot of bursary $ sitting around and telling us to apply for it. I'm hoping to apply and receive some for a car which would make my life so much easier!
So there you have it folks-- that is what my life is like.
I will attempt at putting up a blog at least once a week, but I'll have to see how busy/dead I am!
5 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment