Tuesday, September 23

Summer Photo Update #1

In a desperate fit of homework procrastination, I bring to you my summer photo updates: highlights since my return to Kamloops!

In today's episode: my bedroom's life story.
Beige, Pink, Purple, Brown: Layers of my life

This room has undergone a lot of change since I first darkened its door at the age of five. Back then it was a bland beige and I shared it with Tim. Back in those days, I didn't really notice or care about decor. I don't think any five year old really does. So don't judge me.

When I was about eight years old, and had had the room to myself for a while, Mom and I tackled the bad beige job, and it became a little girl's wonderworld of PINK!!! and KITTIES!!! and some more PINK!!!
I'd like to think I was a pretty tasteful girly girl. After all, I choose the dark green kittens-in-the-garden border as my accent, instead of picking out the pink kitten-in-balls-of-yarn border. That means something, doesn't it??
Please ignore the little nerd in the middle of the room there.
That was the adopted sibling. We don't like to talk about her much.
Oh My. WHAT is she wearing??

When I hit my teens, PINK!!! wasn't so hot anymore, and neither were the KITTIES!!!
At 14, I decided it was time for a change, and since purple was my favorite color at the time, naturally the walls would reflect that. Again, my natural good taste won out and I didn't end up with a cheesy PURPLE!!! smeared on the wall- I got a light, airy purple, with a dark shade for my accent wall that reminded me of a blackberry milkshake (mmm!). I realllly liked that purple. Actually I still like that purple. But it was time for a change.

One of the first weekends I got home from Ireland, my mom and I decided to attack the purple. We armed ourselves with sandpaper, rollers, and a lovely creamy brown...
I love the change!

The color in this photo is probably the most accurate.

I have to admit, it did make the "moving back" transition a little hard. Everything was a mess and I was overwhelmed with all my "stuff". Its only recently that the decor has started to take shape again. I still need to put up some pictures or do something to the big empty walls. Its hard to put holes in after all that puttying and sanding...
The classy finished product...
I tried hard to get the color as accurate as possible. Its a little olive greeny in these pics.

I think its pretty cozy...A while ago I refinished that desk. It was given to my mom for her 13th birthday so you can GUESS how old it is :P
It used to be a computer desk downstairs, and it got some pretty rough treatment. When I got a hold of it, there were big gauges on the top, and it definitely needed some TLC. I stripped it, sanded it, stained it, put on new hardware, and claimed it as my own. I LOVE this desk.
That ugly orange dresser? That's next on my to-do list...
I ditched the squeaky, cheap closet doors long ago. I love the curtain so much more. Makes the room feel more open somehow.
Decorating my room is definitely a hobby of mine. The state of my room affects me a lot. I like it to be clean (even though it definitely doesn't stay that way for very long!), peaceful, functional, and beautiful. Its a work in progress. I'm always adjusting it, and trying out new things. I love it when I find something for my room that fits perfectly and adds a unique little touch. Like this:
Jill's Bedroom Metamorphosis seems to take place on milestones. Maybe next time you hear about one, it'll be when I move into my very own place! (Don't hold your breath. It could be a while...)

3 comments:

Becks said...

There's nothing more comfy and homey than a room that reflects YOU! I saw the colours before, but i like the decor additions.

I need to do a BIG clean up and rearrangement....well, rearranging I did, but I need to update my cork board with new pictures. That of course take time and a bit of money, neither of which I have at the moment. :P

Cardinal's Cove said...

Neato. I love painting and good colors. Good shades of brown are very homely. Well picked.

I also love the cloth closet door.

That's actually one of the first things I ever did in almost every room I have ever called my own is: take off the doors. I never thought of getting a cloth door, but just loved it more open.

PS. The adopted sibling looks like a lot of fun. You should bring her out sometime. :)

Anonymous said...

It looks very homey. The color is a sure improvement on the purple!