Monday, October 20

I Crave Fiction

I've always loved good fiction.
Like really...if given the option, fiction or non-fiction...I always go fiction.
I don't know why.
Actually maybe that is a little bit of a lie. I like a good true story too.
Anyway, I'm kind of straying from the original point of this post.
I used to be a huge bookworm and I read sooo much. I would devour everything that came to our house from the library. Maybe it was during the stress of grade 11 and 12 that I fell out of that habit, and since then I read only textbooks, and only when I have to.
Lately I've been craving good books again. I miss that feeling of getting totally absorbed into a totally different world, with great characters that seem almost real, and scenarios I can imagine myself into. When I get into a book, I reallly get into a book.
The thing is, I find it so hard to find books I can get into!
I get so discouraged when I pick up a book and within the first chapter could tell you the basic plot of the story fairly accurately. I find this especially true of novels written about women for women. Don't even get me started on Christian Romance...
Sometimes I just go back to my old favorites because I don't have the time and energy to find new favorites.
Its starting to become obvious though, that I have never read a lot of classics. So I'm thinking maybe I should work on those. I read through a list and I picked out a few that I might find interesting. A lot (if not all) have been made into movies...but you know me. I haven't really seen many of those anyway!
Here are a few I'm hoping to get my hands on this year:

The Count of Monte Cristo
Gone with the Wind
Casino Royale
Love in the time of Cholera
Catcher in the Rye
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Children of Men (I started this one at some point last year, but I think I left for Ireland before I finished it)

On a side note, I just finished reading "The Hiding Place," by Corrie Ten Boom, for the first time. Now...I'm sure many of you have read "The Hiding Place," and probably love it the way I did...so I must insist you read,"Things We Couldn't Say" by Diet Eman. Its also a true story written by a Dutch woman during the exact same time period. In fact Diet Eman met Corrie Ten Boom. However, its a different perspective, a different personality, and a story with the good, the bad, and the ugly. I absolutely loved it.

Now I'm finished for tonight, but if you have any reading suggestions please leave a comment, and feel free to elaborate on why you like it!

2 comments:

Becks said...

I know your pain. Except I don't see how I could possibly fit in any extracarricular reading right now. I mourn those lost teenage years where I would sit down with a book and finish it in an afternoon.

and you HAVE to read Gone With the Wind! It is such a great book. It's one of the most engrossing books I've read in a long time. I pretty much walked around imagining I was Scarlett for two weeks this summer. :P

I tend not to like Christian 'romance' novels either. One that I did eat up though was Redeeming Love. It was tres good.

Anyways. I should go. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the same boat as you. It's impossible to know if you're going to love a book until after you've read it and by then it's too late...you may have just wasted your time on the worst book ever. I always end up going back to my favorites and rereading them for the millionth time.

I've been thinking of reading some of the classics myself. I even thought about tackling Love In The Time Of Cholera, but I read an excerpt online and just couldn't get into it. I guess the search continues.