Saturday, February 21

Chilling in the Boonies

I've just got back from a few relaxing days spent at a tiny little cabin in the middle of nowhere with some great camp friends.
The much-anticipated convoy of 5 Victorians arrived around 2AM Thursday morning. I was getting some beauty sleep at the time, so I didn't see them until a more reasonable hour, but it was quite exciting to see Barb, Victoria, and the guys again! Katie also joined us before we headed out.
Ted's dad has a place somewhere up near 100 Mile, very close to the tiny little village of Lake Bridge. He is a great man, and allowed a total of 8 Homewood crazies to borrow his place for a couple days.

Its a pretty awesome spot, with a great view, wild animals (we saw 2 moose --mama & baby-- on the drive up!!) and total quiet. Not to mention a solar panel, propane stove, wood heat, and no running water! I love it. The seat in the outhouse does tend to be a little chilly at -15 though...
We had to pack our stuff about 10 minutes up a hill to even get there. Unfortunately, I was under the impression that this place was accessible by car...not to mention I don't even own a decent backpack...so I packed all my stuff in a huge suitcase. It made sense at the time...I fit my pillow, sleepingbag, snowpants, extra blanket, and change of clothes in there, so actually it wasn't so much bad packing as it was a bad choice of luggage. (of course the guys wouldn't understand that.) Luckily, among our number was the truest gentleman I know, David Nadeau, and he hauled the beast up after I was about halfway. Thanks Dave!
Friday morning we tempted Whiskeyjacks with crackers. Dave was at one with nature...
Mark didn't have so much luck.
It was a pretty chill couple of days. we spent our time hanging out on the deck, playing board/card games, snowshoeing, chatting, and having lots, and lots, of fun!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful spot to spend time at. I can definitely see the allure.

Anonymous said...

nice 'stash Jill!

It sounds a bit too rustic for my pampered tastes but I'm glad to hear that you had fun all the same!