Wednesday, March 4

Cook Psychology 101

Here is something I have learned.
If you have some extra time on your hands, and notice someone else who could use a hand, you have to approach them a certain way.

If you say:

"Do you need some help?"

They will say:

"No"

You have implied that they are incapable of handling their own duties, and hurt their pride.
Also, you have implied that you are better than them, because you've finished your job before they have, and you think they are too slow, which shows far too much pride in yourself.

So you try again.

You say:

"Do you want some help?"

Again, they will reply,

"No."

This is because if they surrender under this particular wording, it implies that not only do they need help, but they are weak enough to want it.

There are few options left to the wandering helper now.

It is my personal experience that the only way to win your way into a job of the assisting nature, is to offer your services with this simple question...

You say:

"Can I help?"

In this way, you present yourself as the humble servant, who doesn't presume to be necessary, but might possibly prove useful.

So they say,

"No!"


Some cooks are so darn proud they won't accept any help from anyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha. Thanks for the insight.

Anonymous said...

=) I'll keep this in mind.
I will make it a statement.

I AM helping you.

or

I WILL help you.

=)