Its that time of year...
Time to get a practicum lined up.
When it was first announced that we needed to find a place to apprentice for 3 weeks, my first thoughts were local places...somewhere like Milestones or Earls.
Then I realized I could "expand my horizons" and "spread my wings"....and leave Kamloops.
Not that Kamloops is bad...its just...Kamloops.
So I thought, why not apply to April Point, the resort on Quadra Island, 10 minutes from Homewood? I even made arrangements to stay with the camp director's family.
Then, the more I researched it the less I wanted to go to April Point. It put a big emphasis on seafood, and line cooking, and since I'm not a big fan of either, it didn't seem like a good fit.
So...the hunt was on. I googled "BC Wilderness Lodge Culinary Practicum" blah blah blah....hoping something would come up that jumped out at me. But nothing did.
Finally I just slumped against the computer desk, and asked the expert on camping.
"Mike, do you know of a nice lodge on the island that I could do my practicum with?"
"What about Strathcona Park Lodge?" He said.
So I googled it.
And it jumped out at me.
Its a remote wilderness lodge, in a beautiful setting 45 minutes out of Campbell River. The kitchen looks great, and it focuses a lot on healthy eating, different diets (vegetarian, vegan, celiac, etc), and buying local produce. Which I find interesting, and appealing.
Not to mention the whole place does its best to be ecologically friendly, by producing its own power, composting, and a whole lot of other things. Very cool.
Anyway, I got really excited, and sent off a resume hoping desperately to get a quick reply in the affirmative.
But nothing came...
So last Saturday I called to pester them.
And successfully scored a phone interview, which is scheduled for TOMORROW!!
I am soo excited and nervous! I want this so bad, but I'm scared that I won't measure up to their standards, which seem pretty high.
I'm trying to think positively, and I keep catching myself already making plans about "when" I go down to the island!
I will update you all tomorrow on how it went!!!
ps. check out the site, its beautiful
5 years ago

4 comments:
oh Jill that's so exciting. I'm sure the interview will go swell. I shall be praying for you.
Good luck in the search. For sure doesn't make me want to start the culinary course though =)
Such a great opportunity! It looks like such a great place to work, and in a really cool location.
I'm sure you'll get it, it sounds like you have quite a bit of that kind of experience already.
If not, there's something better waiting for you.
Jill, That sounds so awesome!!
Praying for you today!
I think it is very brave of you to step out and choose to apply somewhere outside of the usual places. I mean...how much can a person learn at a Practicum at Earl's?! I think your idea to apply at a Lodge is brilliant. I hope you get it but if by some chance you don't, I hope that you won't settle for a chain restaurant and will search for somewhere privately owned and unique, somewhere that actually cares about food. Go Jill!
Post a Comment