I've even got my friend Katie in on my scheme. Now that she works at the hospital in Kamloops, we figure rooming together would be ideal. We've been scanning the ads in papers and websites, looking for a good deal.
We looked at a couple of places last week...but they didn't seem right. I'm a little scared that I've built up an ideal too much in my head, and now nothing will measure up. I remember reading Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery when I was younger (and again, again), and one of my favorite parts was when Anne and her friends discover Patty's Place.
"There's a perfectly killing little place I want to show you, Anne...[it] must have grown while Spofford Avenue was still a country road. It did grow-it wasn't built! I don't care for the houses on the Avenue. They're too brand new and plate-glassy. But this little spot is a dream-and its name-but wait till you see it"...I used to think about finding my own "Patty's Place", and how homey and comfortable it would be. I am almost scared to write this, because I know my dad is going to raise his eyebrows at me, and say "You know that you're not going to find a place like that right?" I do know. But a girl can dream.
"Its the dearest place I ever saw," said Anne delightedly. "It gives me one of my old, delightful, funny aches."...
"Its the name I want you to notice especially," said Phil. "Look-in white letters, around the archway over the gate. 'Patty's Place' Isn't that killing?"
Of course, for Anne it all works out and she gets the place. For me, I will most likely have to settle for a dingy basement suite, or a tiny apartment. I can live with that. Its not forever, and no matter what it is like, the fact that it will be my own little home will lend it a little magic.
"I feel as if something mysterious were going to happen right away-'by the pricking of my thumbs'," said Anne, as they went up the slope. "Its a nice story-bookish feeling. Why-why-why! Priscilla Grant, look over there and tell me if its true, or am I seein' things?"
Priscilla looked. Anne's thumbs and eyes had not deceived her. Over the arched gateway of Patty's Place dangled a little, modest sign. It said, "To Let, Furnished. Inquire Within."
"Priscilla," said Anne, in a whisper, "do you supposed it's possible that we could rent Patty's Place?"


3 comments:
I love Anne and I loved it when she found Patty's Place. They had some great times there, didn't they? I hope you find you're very own Patty's Place.
You should buy my place and charge your friend rent. Come on, do it. Do it.
haha! you know I would if I could!
Post a Comment