Monday, January 4

For The Austen Fans

People like to give me a hard time sometimes, because they think I don't appreciate romance. But that's a lie...I do like romance. My heart goes all gooey and mushy watching a good chick flick, I read the end of Ella Enchanted over and over (I know, I'm sad), and I almost always cry at weddings. But I'm particular about what qualifies as romance...for instance, Twlight doesn't. Unless you're talking about Jacob, 'cause lets face it people, he's the one she should've gone for. Not that she deserves him. Not that I'm picking teams...*shifty eyes*

ANYway....

I'm a sucker for a good love story. And that means, I'm a sucker for Jane Austen.

I own the BBC 'Pride & Prejudice', and 'Emma' starring Gwyneth Paltrow, and I'm always on the lookout for others. I've watched Ang Lee's 'Sense and Sensibility' a couple of times, and its always fallen flat for me. I mean, really...Colonel Brandon is creepy enough already without being played by Alan Rickman.

So imagine my delight when I was lent the (relatively) new BBC version of 'Sense & Sensibility'!
I could hardly wait to watch it.
And it did not disapoint. I loved this version, and found it far superior to the old one. For one, it was created by the same director as BBC P&P, and two, it is in 3 parts...there is just too much to these stories to cut them down into a regular movie length. You have to give them enough room to squeeze all the good bits in!

The Good:
The visuals were rich, and the soundtrack was beautiful. Acting- excellent. Humor- spot on.
Loved the costumes, and scenery, and realistic take on things. Also loved Edward Ferrars.

The Bad (?):
The only thing I cannot give my opinion on is how close to the book it stays...seeing as I've never read the book! I KNOW! Can you believe it? I can't. I started it years ago when I was a lot younger, and there were simply too many Dashwoods in the first chapter. I got so utterly confused, I put it away and I just haven't got around to picking it up again!

The Ugly:
(SPOILER ALERT!)
I just can't get past the fact that Marianne is 16 and Colonel Brandon is 34...and they get married. Especially because she looks so little and young and childlike in this movie. It freaks me out. But that's the only thing. Besides that...

It was a satisfying experience in every way. I need to own it now.
If you like a good love story, and especially if you like Jane Austen, you will like this movie.
Go watch it now!

8 comments:

Haelle said...

1. *Sigh* Prince Char. I should read that again.
2. Oh wow, I found your comment on Alan Rickman most amusing. Almost 'Laughed out loud'.

M said...

So. I definitely have two Jane Austen books in my bedroom right now.

Of course they are "Pride and Prejudice", and "Sense and Sensibility".

What else could they possibly be?

Oh. Yeah. So, I left something out.

They're modified versions. They read a bit differently while staying faithful to the originals I'm told.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.

Movies of these two novels would amuse me in ways unimaginable at the present.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the BBC version of P & P! Perhaps I will have to give S & S a whirl.

Aneta said...

I'll have to second that review. I LOVED watching the movie. The music, the scenery, the characters, the plot, the acting...everything was good about it.

PJ said...

Haha! Matt I totally saw that P&P + Zombies in Chapters the other day...laughed so hard! It looks hilarious. I bet a movie would be pretty funny too. Don't know how much you would like the original, though ;)

Maureen said...

thanks for a movie to put on my watch list. I have tried hard to enjoy Austen books - I want to be a groupie so bad. But...they aren't easy to slog through. Emma I've tried twice and she's such a selfish creature I give up in disgust. Maybe that will be a 2010 goal - read some JA.

Anonymous said...

We just watched "The Jane Austen Book Club" yesterday. It was pretty enjoyable...not the best movie I've ever seen but still good. Have you seen it?

PJ said...

No I haven't seen the JA Book club movie...heard it didnt have much to do with JA so I didn't really bother to look into it. What is it about?