Wednesday, January 6

Living Vicariously

My brother Mike got this DVD series for Christmas, and has been powering through them. I'm lagging a bit behind him, but watched 2 episodes yesterday, and I've got to say...I'm really enjoying it.
This reality show is about 2 British guys (Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman) who decide to ride their motorbikes across the world. They go East from England and head across Czech Republic, Russia, Mongolia, etc, etc, and then cross the Pacific to the Yukon, down through Canada, to the States, etc etc.

The first couple episodes detail how they get started and all the planning and stress that is involved! When they finally get on the road its quite exciting, and you get to see so much scenery and different people groups.

They also make a point of stopping at different points were Unicef is helping out. They talk and play with kids on the streets or in orphanages, and find out a bit more about what the organizations are doing there. It can be very heart-wrenching, but it is important to see what life is like there.

The two guys are very entertaining as well! Of course everyone has seen Ewan McGregor on screen at some point, wether as Obi Wan Kenobi or Frank Churchill, or whatever (Just had to throw an Austen reference in there) but seeing him as himself is very neat. I think I have a crush on him now. His friend Charley is hilarious, and looks a bit like a frog (its the EYES!), and together they are fun to watch.

I've only watched 4 episodes, but there have already been so many laugh-out-loud moments, a few suspenseful times, and a lot of bizarre happenings! It makes me feel like I'm traveling again...siiiiigh. That paired with the fact that I was looking at a friend's pictures of a trip to France, and hearing about another friend traveling to stay in Nepal for a couple months makes me feel very...stranded. Now I want to travel again. But I'll have to content myself with simply watching The Long Way Round for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool beans.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this show before. Sounds interesting!