Tuesday, January 26

Succumbing to Knittery

In a fit of creative passion, I bought 2 skeins of wool last summer.
I've made a scarf a couple years ago, but I didn't remember how to knit at all. I just figured I would get around to it sometime.
The colors were amazing...a dark, teal-y blue, and a fantastic (almost burnt) orange.
Anyway, these have been sitting around for months. When I went to visit my friend in Vancouver last October, I brought the orange along because I knew she could teach me to crochet. I attempted at making a hat, but ended up working it so tight that I ran out of wool long before it would have come anywhere near completion.
That was discouraging.
The wool went back into its corner for another couple months.

When I bought the wool, I knew that I wanted to make a slouchy toque with it, but after the crochet tragedy I was sure that I didn't have enough to finish one. My mother convinced me that if I worked it a little looser, it would be enough.

I found a pattern on Ravelry, and set to work yesterday.


Since I hadn't knitted in at least 2 years, it was like beginning from the very beginning! After a long lesson on casting on, I began the ribbing...only 8 rows took me the better part of the afternoon (if not the whole afternoon...I didn't keep track)!!! There was a lot of "Oh no, what did I do?" and "Mom, can you fix this?" and pulling out, and re-knitting...

Really slow going.

But somehow its very satisfying! This morning I couldn't wait to pick it up again!
Despite my first couple rows having to be "frogged", I've made a lot of progress, and I'll upload the next picture tomorrow.

8 comments:

Cardinal's Cove said...

so ... I need a new scarf. ;)

Just not burnt orange .. ugh! lol


(and i'm just kidding, you don't have to make me one)

Becks said...

Yay. Another convert! haha.

It CAN be prety addicting, hey?

Anonymous said...

I'm completely hopeless at knitting and am therefore in awe of all those who have knitting skillz. Can't wait to see the finished product!

mumsy said...

You have the knack, Jill, and you are so much more perfectionist than I am! You will go far!!

Jill said...

Don't diss the orange, Ryan! Its like my favorite color right now. I might just end up dying my hair burnt orange :P

Cardinal's Cove said...

I am getting pretty good at shaving my own head these days. If your hair becomes burnt orange, I can do the same for you. ;)

It is the worst color in existence.

Oh ya. I went there. EVER.

PJ said...

Oh no you Dih-ten! *finger snap thing*

Now I'm totally going to dye my hair back to the color it is in my profile pic...muahaha! And then I'm going replace Peppy with a burnt orange Honda Element.

And you'll be receiving a matching set of burnt orange scarf and toque on your next birthday.

Cardinal's Cove said...

Haha!

Your hair - that's more of a reddish orange, not burnt orange. That's not bad.

Burnt orange screams "parent going through midlife crisis trying to look cool", or "my parents bought me a car for college" in the case of a Honda Element, or simply "hippy". ;)

Ya. I rest my case.

Particularly for vehicles it is beyond terrible. I want to crash into every one that I see.