Friday, October 27

All Grown Up *sniff sniff*



Back in the day, when the boys spent their days trading hockey cards, shooting each other with squirt guns and "exploring" the sand pits, my mother had a fourth son named Sam Bastedo. A funny little kid with a squeaky voice and wild curly blonde hair who basically lived at our house, especially during the summer (bottom picture). One of this little guy's favorite activities was playing the drums- something we all knew he did, but didn't really think about. Until he grew up and moved away to Vancouver with his band, Whitfield! The last time I saw Sam was about 3/4 years ago during the filming of Mike's home-made war movie, "The Thousand Yard Stare". But guess who I saw at work today?! Sam and his brother Joel! It was such a weird experience. Joel said hi to me and I was staring at him going, "I think I know this guy" and then it clicked, and I was like, "Oh hi!" and I kind of looked at this leather-jacket-wearing black-haired rocker dude beside him and then dismissed him because I totally didn't recognize him! Joel laughs and says, "This is my brother Sam!" and it hit me and I totally freaked! It was the strangest feeling ever! (the top picture is what Sam looks like now. He seems just about as confused about the change as I was)
It's SO weird to see people grow up and change like that!!!

(Bottom Picture, Left-Right: Me, Mike, cousin Matt Peterson, cousin Laura Peterson, Tim, Sam)

6 comments:

netablogs said...

Oh, I miss little Sammy Streetwise! He was sooo sweet and cute! And we know Whitfield is the up and coming band, of course. Their roots are in Kamloops, so how could it end up otherwise? :)

Kriss said...

Craziness! I just finished checking out the website; cool! I knew Sam was in a band, but I had no idea they were so big. Wow, it's crazy how time changes things eh?

Anonymous said...

ya, even I remember Sam. One summer I visited for a week and we played with him the whole time. it was so fun!

PJ said...

That's right Jue, you were there when we were filming Mike's movie! (Sam was the one of the two guys that survived :P)Remember riding in Sam's big old orange truck and it could hardly make it up the hill?! I'll bet he's driving something nicer now!

Deanne said...

I remember Sam too . . . and all this time I thought he was my nephew! How shocking to realize that he only LIVED at your house and wasn't actually your BROTHER!

Anonymous said...

Wow, because of this entry I have decided to buy a new cd... thank you