I'll bet you were all shocked and horrified that I didn't post yesterday, wishing you a Happy St. Patrick's Day. My Irish-loving ways suddenly seemed cheap, artificial, and put-on. A fraud.
But that is not the case, my dear friends. Do not doubt me. I was in fact celebrating the Irish ways and didn't have time to post.
1. The Irish love food. I was cooking it. Nearly all day. There is a men's retreat going on right now, and let me tell you they eat A LOT. Jeanette does way more than me and she only got 30 minutes off between (approx) 7 AM- 7 PM. EEEK! But she will get her reward soon, as she's heading off to Mexico for Spring Break today!
2. The Irish raise sheep. As it would happen, one of the girls that lives here grew up on a sheep farm right here on Quadra Island. Her mom still runs the place, and yesterday evening we got a phone call saying, "Come right away if you want to see a lamb born!"
We raced out the door to their farm and arrived just as the ewe started to give birth! AMAZING! What an unbelievable experience! The lamb was black and very big and cute and slimy! I was actually very surprised how quick and clean the birth was though.
We hung around for a bit and held some of the older lambs (VERY CUTE!) and then discovered that the ewe was going to give birth to ANOTHER lamb! Then Sarah's mom told us it was a "breach" (I think everyone knows what that is...) and we all got worried.
The legs started coming out (it was whiteish) and she pulled the rest of it out and quickly wiped away the slime from its nose and mouth, but it wasn't breathing. Explaining everything as she was doing it, she began to swing it by its hind legs which would have been really funny if we weren't so worried. She said that this would make all the goop that was clogging its lungs come out of its mouth and then it would be able to breath. For a few minutes we just watched as she alternately swung and wiped.
It began to breath a little!
Very exciting!
Eventually it was doing just fine, and it even began to walk and nurse a little. What a resiliant little thing! Compared to her brother, she was very skinny and small. And covered in poop because of the "strain" of the difficult birth...gross. Thinking I was being sympathetic when I said, "Poor little Crapper.", I actually cursed her with the name, and she will henceforth be known as 'Crapper'. You just can't win sometimes.
3. Yes, the Irish love their pubs and alcohol. Last minute the girls asked me to come along with them out for a drink to celebrate St. Patty's. How can I say no to celebrating all that is Irish? I admit I was a teensy bit nervous because...all right here it is...I've never been to a pub before! As a good little homeschooled Christian girl I never did underage drinking. But now that I am 19, the time seemed right.
We went to the Heriot Bay Inn which was actually quite nice. Guiness was the special but I didn't think I would enjoy/be able to finish it, so I ordered a Mike's Hard Lemonade which tasted like pop. Mmm. We talked for a while there, and I told the story of St. Patrick because I was the only one that knew it, and we all had a good time. It was very fun!
So that was the most Irish day of my life so far. I'm hoping to improve it by spending St. Patricks in Irleand one day!
5 years ago

8 comments:
Gah! you've been posting so much!
i didn't even know 'til now. :S
Ok so just so you know this is totally cheap. you are having way to much fun, and not missing kamloops NEARLY enough. :D
So im pretty sure you should set a side some time to mope and grope atleast a little bit.
I'm leaving for maplesprings in a couple hours! i get to see all my Kelowna friends again! YAyyyyyyy.
Happy (belated) St. Patrick's Day, Jill. I forgot all about that most important day! Didn't even wear green ! I'm glad you had the chance to see the birthing thing. That would have been so cool! Hope you're having a good week!
Rumour has it your Mom is worried that you are on that slippery slope. Questionable new acquaintances that attract you to a PUB!
She is spending much more time in her prayer closet in the hope you don't acquire the weakness of your father.
That is very cool Jill . . . that you got to see a live birth at the farm. Careful with the Mike's - I hear they can be mighty addicting.
. . . just trying to score brownie points with your mom with that comment . . .(smile)
Hey now!
IIIII wasn't the child that snuck two out of the house to share with his equally delinquent cousin!
But in case I am a hopeless alcoholic by the time the summer is over, you can blame the girls here :P
The lamb-birthing experience reminded me of the James Harriot stories.
I'd make a poor Irishmen, I wasn't even sure which day St. Patty's day was on...though I knew it was on the weekend. :P.
Any animal being born is really cool to see .. I've seen a horse, that was something! I think a baby lamb would be more cute though... It's amazing to see a new life being born. We serve an amazing God! But ... it doesn't make it special that they raise sheep in Ireland. There are lots of sheep farmers in Nelson. Ask Rebekah. ;)
As for the drink thing, I suppose as a pastor I should pretend to be all shocked and stuff or refrain from commenting .. but I have to say what keeps ringing in my head is "I would have paid to have been there".. lol ...
And kudos for waiting till it was legal for you. :) Very responsible. It would be great if everyone made that decision ... just don't go hog wild with your new found freedom. ;) And don't EVER try and and keep up with an Irishman (or Irishwoman for that matter) ... Even if they've never touched a glass of alcohol in their life I am convinced the stuff is running through their veins already...
And please tell us the story of St. Patty... I don't believe I've ever heard it!
Well, glad to hear everything is going so well out there Jill... We're still praying for you!
Take care, and many blessings...
Ryan
Well if we're going to be CRITICAL about it...nothing about that day was very Irish! I mean really. Everyone loves food, a lot of people raise sheep, and the Germans drink more beer than the Irish! I'll admit it. It was a lame attempt at connecting all three into one topic. But don't you DARE apologize because I am laughing as I write this because I knew it was lame when I wrote it and you're the only that said anything.
I think I'm going to go drink away my shame now.
Post a Comment