Tuesday, March 6

There's No Place Like Homewood

Well, well, well...
Here I am!
It took me like twenty minutes just to get to this screen because of this lovely dial-up internet. ARGH!
Not that I am complaining. Actually I am...but I didn't mean to.
Anyway, me and the fam left Kamloops bright and early Saturday morning, and we spent that night at the Epps house in Union Bay (by Courtenay) so I got to see my friend Karissa and meet her fellow "Treadettes" (see the link on the right) for the first time, which was nice. Hopefully we'll get to hang out some more during my time here.
Sunday morning we headed for Campbell River, and after a quick visit with my Grandma, we took a fifteen minute ferry to Quadra, and on to Camp Homewood. Duh, duh, duh, duuuuuh.
I'll admit I probably wasn't a joy to be around during this time.
It was harder than I thought it would be to leave home, and I got into one of my "moods". All I wanted was to get into my room, unpack, and settle in. And have no contact with human life whatsoever.
None of the girls were home when I arrived, but I was fairly certain where my room was and that I would love it to pieces and never leave its confines.
I had stayed in this room for a week last summer, and loved it because it was private and had two LOVELY big windows that overlooked the camp and it was just generally a great room. So I was pretty excited.
Unfortunately...nothing works out the way I plan.
MY ROOM was filled with SOMEONE ELSE's stuff. The room was quite obviously occupied and didn't look like it was likely to be un-occupied any time soon. That was a blow. It would seem that it wasn't MY ROOM after all.
Later on I found out, sure enough, my room was down the other hallway.
I wanted to cry when I saw it.
First of all because I found out that I was sharing it (selfish, spoiled little "only girl" child that I am), and secondly because it had two tiny windows up at the top by the ceiling that reminded me of a prison cell. And they weren't even on my side of the room. AND I didn't even have a dresser or closet.
So I had a nice little pity-party all by myself as I unpacked what I could.
I was not a happy camper.

No, Mom, I'm not coming home.

I was still a little grumpster the next morning, and my roommate hadn't shown up yet, so I was nervous about how she was going to deal with me moving in, and all that jazz.
It wasn't until 3 that afternoon that we saw each other and it was very brief. But later on we started cleaning up our room and talking and GUESS WHAT-
we got along.
Yeah.
All my worrying for absolutely nothing.
She even helped me find a dresser and carry it in, and our room is all nice and tidy now, and it looks great. And it feels homey! Yay!
So right now I'm feeling pretty positive about everything.
Thanks for all your prayers, I appreciate them.
I have until Thursday off, so i MIGHT be on here again, but after that its supposed to be really busy.
Leave a comment- keep in touch!

Cheers,

Jill

8 comments:

Kriss said...

Hey Jill, that's so sad about your room with the lovely windows, but at least you and your roomy are getting along well. It's usually fun to share a room with people that aren't related (although I've definately had some "interesting" times too);). I hope that all is going well for you and I will be praying!
I'm so glad that you came for a visit and I look forward to our next one. Hopefully it wont be so far apart as our last one was. Now that your only about an hour or so away, we should be able to manage a little better. :D
Love and hugs!!!

Becks said...

Glad to see a post from you! Alas...about the room...I'm sure you'll be comfortable in it soon enough...filling it with "Jilliness". =P

May your first couple weeks go great!

Anonymous said...

Loved your honest post! I'm hoping this will be a life changing summer for you. Keep in touch! Glad your roommate isn't crazy or mean or anything.

Cardinal's Cove said...

Great to hear from you already! Frankly, I am quite surprised. :) You have all the "greenery, trees, ocean, rain and fun camp things", new roommates to put up with, etc ... what are you doing on a computer? GO ENJOY IT!!! ;) ... jk, glad you took the time. :)

As for new roommates: At times it may seem God put them in your life to teach some valuable and hard lessons, or just to try your patience. But you will walk away in the end I am sure with a new friend and one that you can trust and someone with whom you have shared a part of your life with. All in all, it's a beautiful thing. :)

The toughest thing will of course be when you want to be alone but can't go to your room to get that time. Find another place to make yours, where you can go and just be with you and God.

Anyways, glad to hear your positive and things are going to pick up I'm sure once you start tomorrow. :) Have fun and I hope you continue to get along with your new roommate.

-Ryan

PS. I was driving to Vancouver yesterday, and this Irish punk song came on and guess who I thought of? I don't think I've ever met someone so enamored with a country so much that merely a song of that decent made me think of them. Well done! :) Of course, I don't think there's much other music out there that so specifically is recognizable as being from a country in particular, but hey. :) Them Irish like to stand out. :) I can't imagine why...

Anonymous said...

Sorry you didn't the YOUR room but everyone should learn to share a room at one point in their life - right?! You don't know how good you have it not having to share a room with your siblings. Thank goodness you get to share it with a friend and not a sister :)

Anonymous said...

Jillian! Sounds like you are doing good. :)
But how dare somebody take YOUR ROOM?! I'll complain about that to the prime minister when i send a letter asking for free money. So you can expect your room back pronto. :P
Or maybe once i get my 65 millions dollars from the prime minister i will just build you your own house on the island. Heck, maybe i'll just buy you the camp.
Wellers, Hope you are having a great time, and i'll be praying for ya.

Cade

p.s. say Hi to Timboy for me!
oh, and guess what? There had been a counter on the computer screen, counting down to the opening of the movie, but the computer crashed a couple days ago and the counter is gone!!
It was as deep blow, i dont know if i will make it through this, many a day i find myself wandering the neighbor hood reciting lines from 'chamber of secrets.

:D

Anonymous said...

I'm touched by all the comments, sniff, sniff. Thanks guys.
I'm on the road to recovery concerning the loss of MY ROOM, and I think the wound will heal completely in time :P
Me and the Roomie are doing well. No one has lost an eye or a limb. For the record I have spent two previous summers with roommates so I'm not completely new to the scenario.
Anyway on to a post.

Karen said...

Hey girl, the honesty was great! I loved it. God has a way of taking our expectations and surprising us doesn't he? Remember you are welcome anytime, Keith said we'll teach you how to drive a standard! Ha, that should be fun! Just kidding. Call us, and we will even pick you up and drop you off at the ferry. Blessings.