Friday, August 17

Hooray for Hi-speed!


After using the slowest dial-up Internet in the history of the universe for the past 5+ months, I decided to make good use of my parent's hi-speed, while I could. Unfortunately I was delirious was I was packing, so I didn't bring my laptop. No Homewood pictures. Sorry. I'll do it in September.
Instead you get to learn with me about the little town of Fermoy, co. Cork, in Ireland! The picture is of Fermoy Fellowship, where I will be working! Isn't that amazing?! It was built in 1834.
Fermoy is small town "nestled at the foot of the Galtee Mountains", with a population of approx. 5,000. Its located right on the Blackwater River, and apparently its mostly known for its fantastic fishing. I might have to learn how to gut a fish after all...ick.
It is also famous for its abbeys, and its military history. Sounds like I won't have to go far to soak up some interesting Irish sights! Cork county is the location of the Blarney Stone...which I am debating going to see. I don't really cherish the idea of kissing a rock so many other people have touched....but its sort of one of those things you HAVE to do. Besides, I could use "the gift of the gab" that is supposedly bestows.
It is also said to have a "disproportionate" population of musicians, playwrights, artisans, and poets! Unfortunately it doesn't sound like there are many handsome sheep herders around....I may have to further Northwest for that. Oh well, I've got time.
There are so many castles, and cliffs, and interesting old buildings to see in the surrounding counties. I am sooo excited!

(Ps. I am also excited about my 'job' at Fermoy Fellowship, but I just needed to gush about my excitement for traveling today)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy that you decided to take the job Jill. I think it's a good fit for you and you are going to have such an amazing adventure! Being in a small town will be so much better for getting the feel of real life there and for meeting people.

Becks said...

Come back with an Irish accent!

Becks said...

Please. :P