Tuesday, December 11

Detox

Well now, I gotta say. I think it is actually possible to be addicted to the internet.
I think that if I wasn't so fantastically busy this week, I would have been curled up in a corner of my room, twitching, and beadily eying my laptop.
But I made it. Plus a day.
I'm still alive, and have at least a little faith in the fact that there might yet be a speck of self-control somewhere in my being.
And it was actually a really good week. Very busy, but good. I got stuff done that I can say with almost certainty I would NOT have got done if I had not limited my internet time. So I know it was a "God thing" that I read that quote last week, and decided to do something about it.
Also, I already feel more a part of the church community here, more "present" if you will.
Having said that, it was a struggle. I had to think of my alloted "internet day" as expendable. I had to give up doing it on Monday and almost gave up today as well, but in the end that didn't work out anyway (thank goodness!!). I still have a long way to go. Now the challenge will be not making this day the "center" of my week. You know...the endless cycle of "getting through the week" for that one day.

A few "firsts" this week:

1. First rhubarb yogurt. It was delightful! Really, it was.
2. First time being introduced to someone while they are in their underpants. Long story short, dropped by Christine's friends' house, and caught them...unprepared? The lady wasn't phased a bit. "She's Dutch" Christine says by way of explanation. I don't think she knows I'm 1/2 Dutch....though we are kind of a shameless lot.
3. First time creating a legit cappuccino. I spent yesterday volunteering at the Christian bookstore in Cork. They are also a cafe, so I worked in there. It was actually quite a lot of fun, but it will be a while before I remember how to make all those fancy coffees.

On Saturday a bunch of us from the church delivered calendars to nearly every house in Fermoy! These calendars are created by a guy in Cork who takes these awesome pictures of the area and then adds in Bible verses and information, and the end result is really quite nice. The church has made some contact with people through them in the past, so this will have been the 7th year they've put them out I think. The weather had been really stormy the day before, and there was some flooding in the Cork area, so we were a little worried about spending the day running around outside! It turned out to be nice...windy, but relatively mild and dry. I got a lot of exercise, and for the record Mom, I kept up with 10-yr-old Andrew and gave him a run of his money ;)
Saturday night was Teen's club, and we put the finishing touches on our craft, and prepared our "drama" presentations, a skit, and then a song with choreographed moves....GONG SHOW! haha...oh man. Long ago I came to terms with the fact that I can't sing or dance, but someone feels the need to rub it in my face! Haha...anyway, at least I'm at the back.

Last night was the Mom's & Tot's Christmas evening, and this week will be busy with the Kid's Club and Teen's presentations. I also have to prepare for the Sunday School Christmas Service on the 23. Phew.

So that's that. Anyway my cup of tea is getting cold (I'm quite an avid tea-drinker now, since the coffee is rubbish.)and I have many blogs to visit (and comment on *coughcough*) and some much-awaited Facebook-ing to do! I'm off.

3 comments:

Becks said...

Yay for TEA. I'm afraid fewer people these days value the virtue of tea...it's all "Starbucks chocolate-peppermint-mocha-frappacinos-light-on-the-cream-no-foam-on-top-extra-hot", coffee addicts.

I like coffee too but tea DOES hit the spot though for me. :D

PJ said...

Its true. At first I only drank it to be polite, but now tea has a special place in my heart.
Right next to the coffee mug :P

Anonymous said...

sounds like your internet-lower week was a success. I will be doing that (not by choice though) when we go on a 2 week vacay in January and there is no internet in our rental home. Yikes!