Tuesday, December 18

On the Go

Its been nearly non-stop madness since Thursday, and I'm expecting the exhaustion to set in probably on Christmas day. When the Sunday School Christmas service is over (Sunday afternoon) I will probably crash. But I'm volunteering Christmas Eve, and climbing the Galtee Mountains on Boxing Day (they call is St. Steven's Day, here) and then probably busing up North on the 27th. I'm tired just thinking about it!
The kids, and teens' nights went really well, and they were very fun.
My gingerbread didn't really turn out. And Ps. I bet you didn't know that molasses is nearly unheard of here. 99.9% of the population have no idea what it is. WEIRD. I had quite a time tracking it down in the grocery store. I got a lot of blank stares and furrowed brows. They also have very few candycanes (I haven't seen any, but I'm told they are around...), and someone asked me what eggnog was. THEY DON'T HAVE EGGNOG HERE!!! How am I to survive without eggnog?! So think of me whenever you sip that heavenly drink, and I shall live vicariously through you.
They DO have lots of mince pies, Christmas cake (fruitcake), and an apple cider-y kind of drink called wassail (I think that's how its spelled). Its yummy.
I went to a live concert band Sunday night and they played lots of movie themes and even a Disney medley that absolutely made my day.
I volunteered again yesterday and that was fun. A girl around 24 works there and we had fun chatting and stuff. I even got invited to a Christmas party by her friend that came in, and I really want to go, but I already said I would be somewhere else at that time, so that sucks :(
That's all my fried little brain can think of to say right now. If I remember something else of note, I'll be sure to put it down.

2 comments:

HCOS support teacher said...

Hi Jill! thanks for the update. No candy canes?!!!! I should have sent you a bunch of them! I'm sorry the gingerbread didn't turn out. Do you know why? Well, I'm off for a day of crazy Christmas shopping.. hoping it will be pretty well done by day's end, since I will be! Have a great day!Will email you later! :)

Anonymous said...

No eggnog?
What a cruel place.
I would send you some, but chances are it wouldn't be the same after the shipping process.