Thursday, March 20

This is Why You Pray



On Tuesday Matt and I had big plans to tour the Mitchelstown Caves, then head up to Cashel to see the sights there, which included museums, historical walks, and of course, the famous Rock of Cashel (which is in fact an ancient castle/cathedral type ruin). We pored over our guidebooks (if you want to know, "Let's Go: Ireland on a budget" *Matt's* is waaaay better than "The Unofficial Guide to Ireland" *Mine*) and struggled with the bus routes and times the night before. We figured we had it planned quite well, and walked down to the bus stop for the 9:55 AM bus Tuesday morning. I even called the caves ahead of time to make sure they were open. I was feeling very confident and pleased with the touristy day ahead of me.

Unfortunately our bus didn't arrive until around 10:30 (I think...?) and the bus driver charged me for 2 tickets instead of one, so things got off to a rough start. Not only that but the driver seemed new and I wasn't sure he knew his route, so I was paranoid he wouldn't stop at the caves since it wasn't an official stop. I was very relieved when he pulled over on the main highway (motorway) and dropped us off across from a clearly marked "Mitchelstown Caves 3km" sign.

The weather was gorgeous! For the first time in weeks, it felt like a proper warm spring day! Beautiful.
The road we walked along was quite a peaceful and picturesque country lane, with the Knockmealdown mountains ahead of us and the Galtees behind. It wasn't long before we came to an intersection in Burncourt with more signs, one indicating we had 1.5 km to go. Not so bad.
When we arrived at 12 pm we bought our tickets from the elderly woman in the house, and waited for the next tour to start at 12:30.
Since the weather was so nice we didn't mind, and whittled time away sitting at one of the little picnic tables situated outside near the surprisingly large paved parking lot. I wasn't expecting a parking lot at all to be honest, since the caves are privately owned and operated by the family.
Nevertheless, it seems to be a popular spot since it wasn't long before a variety of other tourists arrived, including very typical American family, and three non-English speaking, non-smiling, French tourists. Despite my losing our tickets five minutes before the tour began, and then finding them again, we DID finally get to enter the cave, and we had a pretty sweet Irish guide that was pretty funny and enthusiastic.
There was a no photography policy which SUCKED because the caves were suuuper cool! Really amazing. Right from the beginning it was fun because the stairs were really steep going down, and everything was wet and dripping and warm (12 degrees all year round, which was warmer than outside!) and the ceiling was low, which was ok for people of my stature, I only had to bend my neck a little. I felt sorry for anyone taller. The guide told us how a farmer by the name of Michael Condon discovered the cave 170 years ago when he was mining for limestone. He dropped his axe and it fell into the cave. Farmer Condon proceeded to explore the cave by candlelight. (I can't imagine doing that. I think I would wet myself)
Essentially the caves haven't changed since then. They have installed some concrete steps and rails, and lights, but the actual cave shape is the same. And its huge! The caverns were enormous! We only saw a small portion of it as well. Off limits there was one tunnel that came to an underground lake, and a opening with a 20 foot drop, and one or two other parts as well.
The formations inside the cave were absolutely amazing! Not so much the stalactites and stalagmites ...I'd seen bigger and better ones in the Guatemala caves...but the ripply "ribbon" formations and strange shapes and "faces" in some of them were really cool! There were even crystal bits in some, and we even saw a fossil of a coral on the cave wall! It was so neat! Apparently in the next couple years they will open up two more caverns to the public.
Anyway, Matt and I were pretty pleased with our well-spent 7 Euro, and feeling very positive, we weren't too concerned about the minor detail that we didn't know where to catch the bus to get to Cashel. That was mistake #1.
"Let's head to Kilbehenny," we thought. "It's only 2.-something km, and its a town so a bus is sure to stop." So we started walking in the opposite direction we came from.
Oh foolish young mortals.
That was BIG mistake #2.
We walked and walked and walked and walked.
The distance seemed longer going this way. Maybe its just because we knew time was running away on us. It was 1:35 PM when we got out of the cave, and we had sort of wanted to be IN Cashel at that time. Not walking down a very, very, quiet country road towards a small town hoping to catch a bus that MIGHT pass by.
After a very long time, we emerged on the side of the highway. It didn't look to much like a town as...the side of a highway. So we headed to the nearby Gas (Petrol) Station and asked how far it was to the nearest bus stop.
3 STINKIN' MILES.
What the heck?! So pretty much we would have been better off if we had gone back the way we came after the cave tour. Darn.
Anyway, we didn't waste time crying over spilled milk, so we started walking on the side of the highway. Which I hate. Because the cars go so freakin' fast. After walking for what seemed like infinity hours, with people staring at us because we are crazy for walking this way when there is nothing for miles, we came to an overpass under construction, and we didn't dare venture going through with all the big semi-trucks threatening to smush us against the concrete. So we crossed the highway to what looked like a side road that would lead us back on after the overpass. Needless to say...it didn't.
I won't say that going this way was Mistake #3 though, because I think going under the overpass would have been the Final Mistake Of Our Lives.
It was probably around 2:30 around this time I think. The road ended up leading us away from the highway and back into the countryside.
It was very...peaceful. And frustrating.
Eventually we arrived back at a familiar intersection. So we went back to our original bus drop off point. Thinking, hoping, praying, that maybe the bus would pick us up.
Actually I was having an ongoing one-way conversation with God for most of the afternoon. It consisted of,
Thanks for the great weather God, because this would have been pretty bad if it was raining, but honestly it would be really nice if you could send someone to offer us a ride to the next bus stop. Or even better..Cahir. And if you were feeling really generous they would be heading to Cashel. That would be really awesome. And maybe they could be...um...Christian, cause that would make me feel more comfortable. Please? Because I'm getting pretty hungry and tired, and we really wanted to see Cashel today, and this is kind of ridiculous. And it will be scary if it gets dark. I could call someone but I would feel stupid, and its the Easter Break and I don't want to disturb them. PLEASE GOD SEND US A WAY HOME!!!
We arrived at the place the bus dropped us off and traffic was heavy, and no one was likely to stop to offer us a lift, and technically it would be illegal for us to hitchhike there anyway. So we just kind of stood there despondently, looking sad and hoping the bus would come by soon.
It did.
But it didn't stop despite the frantic and idiotic waving of my arms. (Thanks for backing me up there by the way Matt...:P)
After that it was major decision time. We had a few options.
1. Hijack a car merging onto the highway.
Neither of us are comfortable driving standard transmission. Next?
2. Bust out the puppy eyes.
I tried. Didn't work.
3. Walk.
Oi, my aching bones! Its a LONG ways to the next town.
4. Call someone from Fermoy.
I reeeeeeallly don't want tooooo.....
C'mon God! I prayed. We really need a ride. Please.
Would you believe that just at that moment a big truck pulled over right in front of us?
And would you believe that it was Peter, someone I knew from church in Fermoy?
And Would you believe that he was headed to Cashel?
I didn't believe it at first either.
But he was.
God is so good.
Peter dropped us off on Cashel's main street and we walked to the Rock and spent an hour or so taking pictures.



Peter then picked us up and drove us back to Fermoy. We stopped by the Happy Chan chinese takeout, and stumbled home, completely wrecked. I fell asleep around 5 or 6 pm in my clothes, and didn't wake up until 7am the next morning!Anyway the important thing is that we got to Cashel and took lots of pictures.
Haha! Just kidding.

The important thing is that we survived. And took lots of pictures.
And there were valuable lessons learned. Such as plan the details. Bring a snack and water. Make sure your phone is charged, you have extra camera batteries and memory chip, have cash, and don't forget to pray and expect an answer.
And if you ever get the urge to pray for me, please don't ignore it... :)

2 comments:

netablogs said...

Great post, Jill!! And just think how much less exciting your post would be if nothing out of the ordinary happened? But then again, God answering a specific prayer might be ordinary! Glad you and Matt are having a grand ol' touristy time!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill
have you thought of maybe visiting Frank in Dublin. Might be a good way for Matt and you to see the city.

Just wondering