It was in the early days of my arrival that I first learned of this 'miserable vomitous mass', also known as a common British "dish". I don't remember exactly how it came about, but everyone was amazed I had never heard of Beans on Toast...absolutely amazed.
It is a staple over here. Everyone eats and, and even stranger....everyone likes it.
There's no trick to it. It is simply your choice of bread, toasted, and doused in the contents of a can of warm Heinz baked beans. YUCK.
I've even seen it on cafe menus.
It is primarily served at breakfast, but it is also eaten as a snack. Or, like Mark you may have "lived" on Beans on Toast during the 'starving student' university years. (and he still likes it.)
I can't quite wrap my mind around how this...stuff...could appeal, especially in the morning hours.
Since I've voiced my opinions on the subject (as politely as possible) its been a running joke for quite some time that I will "have to" eat it before I leave.
I've evaded it for months.
Last night was Emma's birthday sleepover and after a long sleepless night on a tiny couch, I sat down to breakfast....and with a huge grin and a camera on hand, Sue handed me my plate:
Beans on Toast.
"Ooooh nooooo!"
Since it WAS Emma's birthday, I am leaving soon, and I'm such a good sport, I did manage a mouthful or two.
They all giggled and snickered and snapped my picture (I looked absolutely stunning by the way).
The fans were satisfied, but I still don't like Beans on Toast.
I still think its absolutely awful.

6 comments:
I actually think it looks kinda' yummy. I don't think I could eat it for breakfast though.
The picture...I want to see the picture!
Beans on toast? ... yik
Yeah, it never sounded appealing to me...but it doesn't sound any weirder than eating chili on hotdogs like some n. americans like to do....I've never thought of it as appealing either.
Ewwww, gross...that's just asking for a smelly day :P
My Mom used to feed me that - and I loved it. I should see if my kids will eat it.
-Danica
Although that picture elicits a slightly more disturbing description from me, I think your phrase of
"miserable vomitous mass" does more than suffice.
Post a Comment