I have an inexplicable dread of airports.
Its not that I've really had bad experiences with them. I've actually not had many experiences with them at all. Its just something about them that makes me tense and nervous. All my fears rise to the surface when I'm in an airport: what if I don't make it on the plane? What if there's something in my bag that shouldn't be there? what if they don't let me into the country?
Its like everything suddenly becomes a huge deal. The stakes get higher.
Mostly I just feel very alone and vulnerable in airports. That's what it comes down to. Suddenly everything is up to me, I'm the only one responsible for my well being, and no one can come to my rescue if I screw something up.
I don't mind flying, in fact I love flying. The take-off is exhilarating! And I absolutely love arriving in a new country and peering out the window to investigate a new and exciting place. Its just that in-between stage (here I go again...) of getting through the airport. I can't breathe properly until I am far away from airports.
This presents a problem for me, because in the next 2 months I have to go through a few different airports. I have to fly to Edinburgh, and then fly again from London to Vancouver.
Maybe I will conquer my fears? Somehow I doubt it.
5 years ago

3 comments:
I hear ya, Jill. Just remember that last post that you mentioned you have your own personal travel agent? He'll be with you in the airport, too.
But I do know how you're feeling. I hope you enjoy your travels and forget all about airports until you need to remember to get there on time.
.. and remember to take deep breaths..
I love airports. There's so much excitement; people coming and going. I love the anticipation of boarding my plane and then there's the exhileration of arriving in a new location at the end of the flight.
I'm sure you'll do just fine. You've got lots of people praying for you. :)
I agree with Sonya, I love airports for a lot of the same reasons.
I also love them because they force me to rest. Especially in the midst of traveling (in particular, the prep work leading up to a trip of any magnitude) when you're in the airport, there's really not much else to do but wait. You're stuck there and have to just kick back and relax.
But then, maybe because I've flown SO much and had about everything that could go wrong go wrong at some point, so I've experienced everything and now I'm totally at ease .. hmm .. maybe not .. I think I've always been at ease in airports. Probably my laid back personality.
Good luck!
Post a Comment