Tuesday, May 13

Potentially Problematic

There are 3 shows that I watch with some regularity: LOST (what the heck is going on there??), American Idol (What the heck is going on THERE??), and the 3rd season of this fantastic reality tv competition: I'd Do Anything.
I never realized how much I've gotten "into" the tv show until this past Sunday.
I don't think you can get it in North America (but what do I know?), so I will attempt to explain what it is for you poor deprived souls.
I'd Do Anything is like American Idol meets Broadway meets Britain's Got Talent. Sort of.
Basically every year they are searching for someone to fill in the lead role in one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musicals. Anyone in the UK and Ireland can try out and then viewers vote for who they want to win.
In past years they've done The Sound of Music, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. This year they're searching for a girl to play the role of Nancy in Oliver.
Since the show runs at 7 PM on a Saturday night, I'm usually only able to watch the first 10 minutes before I have to run to the church for the teen's club. I got hooked during the Easter break, and since then have really only watched it a couple of times at someone's house when they've taped it. But it is an amazing show.
The girls are so extremely talented, its unbelievable. They can sing, dance, act, and they even have mildly entertaining personalities for the most part. Its a tough competition!
They are judged by a panel of 4: John Barrowman (He's huge over here. I've seen him on at least 4 different shows), Denise Van Outen (a Broadway/West End leading lady), Barrie Humphries (who apparently among other things has played Fagin like 5 times), and of course, Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Right now they are down to 6 girls from the hundreds they started out with.
From the beginning I was really impressed with 25 year old Rachel, from Belfast. She could sing anything, she could act like you wouldn't believe, and choreography didn't phase her. She had the passion, and the look, and I thought she fit Nancy to a tee.
So understandably she had always been leading the competition and "safe" as far as votes went.
As the weeks went on the other girls began improving a lot, especially 18 year old Jessie from co. Kerry. Suddenly 2 weeks ago, Rachel was in the bottom 2, meaning she had to perform in a "sing-off" with another girl, and A.L.W would then choose one of them that he wanted to "save" from being kicked off the show.
What a travesty. Rachel does NOT belong in the bottom 2. Luckily, A.L.W knows that and he saved her.
But I was nervous about last week. I had a bad feeling that voters would forget how consistent and amazing Rachel was, how hard she worked, how right for the part she was!!!
(breathe Jill, breathe)
Anyway, I'd never watched a results show because it plays just before the prayer meeting on Sunday night. But last time I was at Sue and Mark's they had taped it so we watched it.
This was when I knew that my addiction to the show was potentially problematic.
As the host gradually allowed 1, 2, and 3 girls to sit down in the "safe" zone, Rachel was left standing with scot Ashley, and pop-star-wannabe, Niamh.
I was dreading this moment. The judges had not given her the usual praise after her last performance. I just KNEW that Rachel would be in the bottom 2 again.
Niamh was my concern. She was 17, stick thin, beautiful, and gaining favor in the eyes of the judges. If she was in the bottom 2 with Rachel, I had a feeling the result would cause me to lose all faith in the creditability of this show, and humanity in general.
Rachel's face was a picture of dread and resignation as the host called her name.
"Rachel," He said pausing for dramatic effect that nearly shot my nerves, "You..."
My palms were sweaty. "...COULD BE NANCY!!!"
I squealed, losing all dignity and engulfed poor Emma in a hug of relief.
Rachel was saved!
Niamh and Ashley were on trial!
(and of course Niamh won over Ashley, but that was no surprise because the judges hated Ashley).
I was ecstatic. Which is why I think I'm a little too "into" the show.
But by golly, I do enjoy it!

2 comments:

Becks said...

Sounds somewhat more sophisticated than the reality show about the finding a girl to be the next pussycat doll. :P

PJ said...

Its not quite at catty.
tee hee...