Thursday, September 4

In the Kitchen: Day 1

Getting up at 6AM is not my favorite thing in the world. Its even worse in the winter, when its dark and COLD. Luckily for me its still September and even though August weather decided to head south early this year, its pretty mild outside in the morning, when I stumble to the car.
My dear sweet generous father got up early today as well to drive me to school...what a guy. what a guy.
Since it was our first day actually working in the kitchen most of us were there early to get changed into our whites (soooo professional) and buy our caps. Unfortunately for those suckers poor, poor, unfortunate souls that were counting on their debit cards, the machine was down and only cash was acceptable. I was one of the few that walked away donning a sweet checkered pillbox cap. And by sweet I mean ridiculous.
I've been assigned to the "Vegetables & Starches" station, which works closely with Entrees. I was terrified of our instructor to begin with because he came across as so harsh and strict in the past week, but today was really good because I came to realize that he's very fair and he's not out to get us...he just wants us to use our brains and be safe & professional. He could be pretty sharp with some of the Second Level students, but it was because he knew that they knew better, and it was never a personal attack.
I'll have to come up with a suitable pseudonym for him, as well as everyone else at school...its really easy for some people. There's a Second Level student that was put in charge of us for a part of the day, whose face and manner fairly screamed "Percy Weasley". And one of the instructors is definitely Ned Schneebly.
Anyway, today my group (4 of us altogether) learned different techniques for cutting carrots (batonnet), zuchinni (large dice), and cauliflower (florets), then we watched two L.II students create a stew, and then we blanched our veggies, had a break, then learned about risotto and pilaf rice dishes, and sauteed our veg to order when the cafeteria opened. It wasn't very busy so we were standing around a lot. I got to chat with the other people in my group, and we talked to our instructor (his PJ identity is yet to be decided) about random stuff...it was fun.
One scary thing happened though.
Just as we were finishing up the cafeteria stuff, one of the girls in my group that I've gotten to know a little bit looked a little droopy and said to me, "I think I need to get some water."
I have no idea where anything is, so I was like, "Sure I think we can get some over here." and started walking through a bunch of people. All of sudden her face went completely white and she was leaning on the table. I was like, "Oh crap, she looks terrible!" and basically grabbed her and pulled her past all these people and all of a sudden she just collapsed and I was like, "HELP!" and this guy beside me helped me put her down, and we're like "MR INSTRUCTOR GUY**! WE NEED YOU!"
She came to in a second and our instructor helped her on to a chair and I got her some water, and after a while she went home, but MAN....I was freaked out. I'm no good in emergencies or things like that. I just don't know what to do. I'm pretty useless.

Anyway that was my day...we got to eat a free lunch (cafeteria leftovers), and I got out at about 2 o'clock. I'm pretty tired now, but glad that everything went well and I think I will enjoy this course.

** We didn't actually call him that, ok? I've just got to think of another name for him. I won't call anyone from school by their real name...gotta protect the "innocent" and all that, right? :P
You guys that read this? You know who you are. You aren't innocent, and you will be named. Unless you can come up with a sweet PJ Identity. Then maybe I'll protect your anonymity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a first day in the kitchen. But where's the picture of you in your chef garb?