Friday, April 17

Death By Ladder


Do you ever wonder how you will die, or when?
I don't, usually...
But this morning it struck me that I don't want a really lame cause of death. Something stupid like Genghis Khan's infamous nosebleed.
Actually, had circumstances been slightly different as I was driving to school this morning around 7AM, someone might have been obliged to relay to you the tragic and stupid cause of my demise: death by ladder.
I was heading up the highway towards TRU, just past the Brick, when I noticed that the truck ahead of me had not properly secured its load. Stacked on top of other equipment, a large steel ladder began to slip. I had only a second to realize what was happening before it fell off the truck and crashed onto the asphalt, sparks flying. It bounced, coming towards me.

Confession: I probably, not quite sure, but maybe...closed my eyes and squeaked in fright.

I also braked and swerved, and the ladder skidded to the middle of the road, without hitting anything or anyone.

PHEW.

My hands were still shaking when I got to school.

It could so easily have bounced right into my car, and through my windshield.
Kinda freaky.
Ok, really freaky.

I know everyone's gotta go at some point, but I really would prefer not to go like that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I always chide myself for getting nervous when I see ladders and things piled up on trucks. Now I will keep my distance for sure. Thank God you're safe!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! That's kinda' scary. Glad you were able to steer clear of the danger.

Anonymous said...

Gary just told me that today our car got hit by a fly-away Starbuck's patio umbrella while he was sitting inside the car eating sushi at Columbia Square! Crazy!