Wednesday, October 7

INFP: I Need to Focus Please

Or something. That was the best I could come up with for that acronym.

I struggle with my personality, sometimes. I find aspects of myself very frustrating. For instance, I have very good intentions, but very little follow-through. I get lots of ideas for things I would love to do, and I make exciting plans, and then...somehow I just never get around to doing those things. I make lists, and I make lists of lists, I sometimes even check things off, but eventually they join the other lists stuffed in my drawer that never see the light of day again. Goals are excellent, but I can never seem to nail down a timeline to achieve them. I always second guess myself, and then I think, "Well, I will get it done when I get it done." and guess what? It doesn't get done.

I once blogged about my Meyers-Briggs personality quiz result. I am INFP, the "Dreamer" or more commonly known as the "Healer". I don't know about the healing part, but I'm definitely an Idealist. Being an Idealist isn't easy. There's too much realism in this world. I'm big bundle of sensitivity, that's what I am. I've got so many feelings, they bump into each other and they all get hurt.



I'm getting side-tracked.

Today I wanted to find out what would be a good job for my personality type. As a decided Introvert I don't want to be in a position where I have to interact with new people all the time. But as a Feeler, I want to help people out in some meaningful way.
So I went online and looked up some INFP job suggestions. And promptly got sucked into analyzing myself. The more I read on INFP traits, the more I realized that I am becoming more INFP-ish as I get older. I never used to be like this, I swear! But I am not alone.
I stumbled across a forum board of a bunch of INFP-ers bemoaning their personality and how hard it is for them to find a fulfilling job. Greeeeaaaaat.
We are a needy bunch. Hard to please. We lack organizational skills and go-get-em attitudes, but we want do work of significance.
I feel full of contradictions, and I know what I want, but I don't know if it exists.

Aaaaaaaand its getting really late, and I'm probably just rambling now....I get really strange once it hits the "wee hours", but then again, that's when I'm at my conversational best, don'tcha know? ahaha...I bet this post doesn't make any sense! I can hardly wait 'til noon, when I will read this again and be really embarassed! AWESOME.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it matters what type of personality you are. Everyone has things about themselves that drive them crazy. Well, at least I do.

And besides, at least you know your personality type. Cam is so strange that we can't even nail down what her type is even though she's taken the Meyers-Briggs test on several occasions!

Maureen said...

I had Hannah take this online career/life direction test the other day. We haven't had the opportunity to follow through with it yet, but hopefully it will help her see a way through the maze of options. It does cost about $100, but if it helps, that's cheap.

http://www.careerdirectonline.org/

PL said...

I'm glad there weren't too many of these career assessment tools when I was younger. I would have driven myself crazy!! I think the idea is to take a step in some direction, and then new ideas and doors open, and so on and so on. More often than not, life is what happens while we are making other plans.
Easier said than done, I know. This is just me looking back.
And it definitely is easier for those who know what they want to be 'when they grow up' minutes after they exit from the womb. But those types are few and far between.

Anonymous said...

No worries. You're young. You put too much pressure on yourself. Dream on my friend, dream on.