Wednesday, October 28

Photophobia

I recently took a picture of my dearest mother and I, which I thought was kind of nice.
She, however, exclaimed with horror, "Don't you ever show that picture to anyone!!! I look terrible!" You will find it posted below......
kidding, mom. Kidding.

It was a perfectly good picture. While neither of us are extremely photogenic, we were both smiling normally (well she was anyway), the lighting wasn't bad (we were outside)...if anything I should have been the one protesting, since my head was in the foreground, thus appearing abnormally large.

What is it about us that hates pictures of ourselves? Maybe this is something unique to my family, because I sure do it a lot. I cringe and think, is that really what I look like?? Everyone else is like, "that's a good picture of you!" and I'm thinking, "If that's a good picture..."

Are we harder on ourselves, because we don't see ourselves all the time everyday? While everyone else is used to seeing us everyday, we aren't used to seeing ourselves unless we're posing in front of the mirror (not that I do that...)?

Are we simply not aware of what we look like 'normally'?

Does anyone else get that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the exact same way. I hate most pictures of myself...even ones that other people say look good.

HCOS support teacher said...

I think that's the key. We really don't see much of ourselves, so when we do, what we THOUGHT we looked like might not really be what we ACTUALLY look like. Complicated, I know..

Perhaps we SHOULD be spending more time in front of the mirror. ;)