Wednesday, October 14

Scrapbooking in the Digital Age

I've been scrapbooking for quite a long time now. When I was a younger, it meant nabbing the doubles my mom had left over from her prints, gluing them onto a bright sheet of construction paper, and then journaling who was in the picture with a Mr Sketch marker.
Things haven't changed all that much.
In my teens I upgraded to my own camera, a 12x12 refillable scrapbook, textured or printed scrapbook paper, and a few fancy scrapbooking trinkets. I can spend hours on my book, and produce only a few pages at a time. But the process is basically the same.

Last year around this time, I made my first digital photo book. I borrowed Mike's Mac computer, which had a program built in. Basically, all I had to do was upload my pictures, and then drop them into different templates, choose a background, type in some text, and voila! With the click of a button, a professional, glossy photobook was delivered to my door.
I used it to document my pictures of Scotland (which I did not have the time or inclination to scrapbook the long way), and liked it so much that I made another one as a gift that Christmas!

Now I'm afraid that I might just be addicted to the simplicity, and quick results of the digital scrapbook. I do like how my paper scrapbooks look, and they do allow for a lot more creative freedom...but they take so much time and energy. And I think they are more expensive too, in the long run.

Right now I'm in the process of digitally compiling my Ireland photos online...a task way overdue! With thousands of photos to sort through, I was too overwhelmed to even think of printing them off, and finding the right paper & scrapbook paraphenalia to go about it properly.
After searching through myriads of different photobook options, I finally found one (Shutterfly) that wasn't too ridiculously expensive, and offered the key options that were important to me. Its not perfect, but then again, having fewer options is probably a good thing...otherwise I would be tweaking it forever!

I uploaded a couple hundred photos and got started. I've already gone beyond the 20 pages that come with the book, and I'm not even through my first week in Ireland! However, I think the photo-to-page ratio is pretty decent, and I might just make a few volumes :)

Also, this way no one has to try to decipher my handwriting, as all the journaling is in nice clear text! The only really big downside is that I can't really tape/glue all my ticket stubs, brochures, postcards, etc that I accumulated in my time there. I think I might just scrapbook those seperately, the good old-fashioned way!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Digital scrapbooking seems to be all the rage now and I can definitely understand it's appeal. I don't have the patience required to scrapbook the old fashioned way but haven't attempted digital scrapbooking for fear I would become addicted.

Any chance you'll post pics of a few pages you've made? I'd love to check out your handiwork.

Andy-G said...

Just returning the favor! I totally think you are just a band-wagon jumper Jill. JK, I think this is a healthy and exciting trend actually!

PJ said...

comment Karma! yay!

(ps how is it "healthy"?)