Monday, November 16

Konkering My Fears

I decided to get over my fears, and get in on the fun.
The first (and only) time I had previously been on a dirt bike was years and years ago, at our friend's the Plysuiks'. They have all been dirtbiking since forever, and Rebecca had a little "50" (whatever that is). She convinced me to try it out.

I tried. For 2 seconds. Before it jerked forward and freaked me out so bad, I never got on one again.

Until now.
Tim's new Konker "pit bike" still looks huge and intimidating to me. But the big grin on his face when he invited me to try it out, suggested he thought it would be good entertainment. I wanted to triumph. (not sure I did)

Having never really driven anything besides an automatic, the whole idea of changing gears and having a "clutch" is foreign, strange, and scary!

Tim brought me step-by-step through the process, which I botched nearly every time. I even fell to the ground, bike on top of me, in an attempt to get off. I blame in on short legs. Tim laughed and rolled his eyes.
At last, with a ferocious lunge forwards I was going!

It was very exciting! Perhaps a little too much power in my incapable hands though! I was finding the acceleration a little touchy, which isn't great for someone with my slow reflexes!

I nearly ran into a barrel of flowers, and there were probably a couple of grisly wipe-out scenarios that were only very narrowly avoided.
It was a lot of fun, I can see how it would be addicting for someone like Tim who is so good with things that go fast, roar, and smell like gasoline, but I think I might stick to cooking...while I do receive minor injuries there, I'm not likely to send myself over a cliff by twitching! :D

2 comments:

mumsy said...

You look like a natural!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! We had a little dirt bike on the farm and I used to love bombing around on it.