I think I have probably recommended this book to quite a few people since reading it in August 2008.
To say I am excited to own this book is an understatement. I loved it, and will definitely be reading it again and again.To those of you who I have not already raved about this to, "Things We Couldn't Say" is an autobiography of a young Dutch woman who joined the resistance against the Nazis in WWII.
I don't remember a lot of details from the story, but it is truly amazing what this woman did and went through, when she was around my age...even a little younger, I think. This might be one of the big draws for me, personally. I find it fascinating to read about how myself and my peers may, or may not, have acted under those same circumstances.
The most interesting thing about this book for me was the glimpse inside her mind at the time, which is revealed through diary entries and letters she wrote.
Sometimes I feel like we only ever hear about the events in those years from a commentary in hindsight. With this book, you feel like you are thrust right into the middle of it, and it is happening as you read.
I am still surprised that this book is not more well known, because to me it is one of the best WWII books I have ever read. As the information about the book reads: "Here is a story that has all the emotional impact of The Diary of Anne Frank and all the drama of The Hiding Place."
Now the best part...Since I told myself I can not start reading anything else until I finish the last 2 I've started, this book is up for borrowing grabs. If you are interested and would like something interesting to read during the Christmas holidays, drop a comment requesting to loan this book!

3 comments:
Sounds like a fascinating book. I may borrow it from you...but only AFTER the holidays. I'm way too busy to read right now. :)
Please, Please may I borrow it?? I have it on my wish list at Christianbook.com! I promise I won't have it for long, and I will be good to it. =)
It will be my pleasure to share it with you :)
Post a Comment