Friday, December 4

A Slight Obsession

The teen years can be a troublesome time.

One may search for one's identity in one's appearance, one's friends, or...

Perhaps an obsession with a fictional character?

I was organizing my books the other day, making room for my newest addition, when I came across an old shrine of mine. This included dozens of random Robin Hood books, a McDonalds Robin Hood figurine, a scrap of paper (probably from a TV guide) advertising Robin Hood, a creepy cloth Robin Hood hanging, and...a small bag of Robin Hood flour, of all things. So of course I had to go downstairs and gather my 3 Robin Hood DVDs and take a picture of this fabulous collection. (Unfortunately its missing a prize gem: the first season of a Robin Hood tv series from the 80's, and also the Richard Greene tv series, that I left at my brother's place!)

Its true, I did go through a "phase", and may perhaps still be going through it. I just...I just love Robin Hood. Ok?! The Disney fox Robin Hood was my first crush. I also love that everyone has their own version of Robin Hood...I've read so many books on the legend, and most of them are quite different from each other. The movies/tv series are ridiculous. And awesome.

There are a few gaping holes in my collection though.
DVDs: Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and the Errol Flynn version (delightful!).
And books: The Outlaws of Sherwood (Robin McKinley) and the rest of the Hood series by Stephen Lawhead.

Interestingly, there is a movie coming out in 2010 called "Nottingham" directed by Ridley Scott and starring Russell Crowe. Personally, that revolts me, but I will have to see it anyway, because obviously when it comes to RobinHood, I just can't help myself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's an amazing collection! And yes, Russell Crowe as Robin Hood is completely laughable, but I too will probably go see it because it looks like something Gary would drag me to.

Anne Geddert said...

I think I may have told you this story, but when I read Robin Hood by Howard Pyle to Josh a few years back, I was crying so hard when Robin was betrayed and died that I had to take a break from reading!

Maybe you should look for a young man named Robin as a potential... =D

Kriss said...

Your obsession was perfect for me though; I always knew what to get you for Christmas or your birthday.

Anonymous said...

I had the same obsession when I was younger. I even named one of my cats Robin, and dressed up as Robin Hood for Haloween one year. And anytime I was wandering in the woods, of course, I pretended Sherwood Forest.
Silly girls.

PJ said...

Danica that is amazing! are you going to watch the Russel Crowe version with me??