Monday, December 7

Christmas Carols

Its everywhere...

On the radio, in the stores, in our heads...

Christmas music.

Some people hate it, others love it.

It can range from cheesy to haunting. Rocking' Around the Christmas Tree, to Silent Night.

Anyone can sing it...Alvin and the Chipmunks, a church choir, Mariah Carey, or your caroling neighbors.

I find Christmas music in general to be annoying, if not just plain unbearable, most of the time. But I do have exceptions.

Most carols in minor keys are acceptable to me, Christmas with Frank & Bing is pure gold, and all instrumental Christmas music is almost always beautiful.

My favorite Christmas song might be Carol of the Bells, because it is so beautiful and haunting, and its not really the kind of song that is sung by people who can't sing, you know what I mean? I think songs being overdone, and oversung, is what really kills them for me, so that might be why this one is still a fave.

I am particularly fond of this version by pianist, George Winston.

Do you have a favorite Christmas carol?

4 comments:

Aneta said...

I love that version, too...! I do get sick of Christmas carols quickly,too. It's not even December 8th yet and some of my CD's have already been put back on the shelf. I do like Michael W. Smith's CD a lot.. and Matt Day's piano one is easy on the ears.. anything that melds into the background and doesn't become noise, I like. I'm thinking that Sarah MacLaughlin's Christmas CD would be nice..

Anonymous said...

I love a wide range of Christmas music but what I don't generally enjoy are carols sung by today's popular music artists. I love the traditional sounds of Frank, Bing, Burl & Nat. I too love George Winston, particularly The Holly & The Ivy.

Oh, and I've been listening to Christmas carols for a whole month now and I'm still not tired of them. I'm strange...I know. ;)

Auntie Sharla said...

Oh Holy Night in French (so technically not Oh Holy Night but Minuit Chretien). The song is beautiful and so touching and the lyrics in French are even more powerful than the English version but it doesn't translate the same way so it's hard to explain to people the difference.

I also love instrumental Christmas songs pretty much no matter what instrument or combination of.

Anonymous said...

For me it changes year to year. Last year was little drummer boy. Usually I go with something a little more solemn like What Child is This or O Holy Night. This year, my pick is still up in the air.