Monday, January 11

Little House Life

I don't know what to blog about, but I'm trying not to fall out of the habit.
I picked up a "Little House" book while dog-sitting this weekend, and started to read it again for the first time in many, many years...
It was quite entertaining actually! I used to adore those books, but then "grew out of them" (read: avoided them due to mocking brothers) and haven't looked at them since. I was reading, "These Happy Golden Years", which had never been a favorite of mine back in the day. This time I really enjoyed it, maybe because I am older now. There are parts that are quite funny, especially the interactions between Laura and Almanzo at the beginning of their relationship. The writing style is very matter-of-fact and straight-forward, but reading between the lines you can imagine the expressions and reactions!
I also enjoy picturing how life was different back then. They took nothing for granted, and life was so much harder...everyone had to pitch in. Laura was so skilled, even at 15 she was sewing her own clothes, teaching school, educating herself on her own, cooking, cleaning, and helping put her sister through college...I can hardly imagine!
She was very capable, confident, and intelligent. No wonder Almanzo fell in love with her!

4 comments:

Becks said...

I think I lived half my childhood pretending I was "Laura Ingalls Wilder."

Anonymous said...

I haven't read those books in ages either. But same thing as you, I never liked These Happy Golden Years until the last time I read it.

Anne Geddert said...

Every time my mom and I need a boost of encouragement we read "The Long Winter" and become freshly thankful for the (easy) life we lead.

PJ said...

Bekah did you have a L.I.W costume though?? I definitely did. And the cookbook! haha...

I think I'll have to reread the whole series now.